I Would Rather Be Faithful Than Successful

2008 - 10 - 25 - Two Roads Diverge

“…I have tried to make a habit over the years of not listening to people who either criticize me or praise me. Spirituality is a really mysterious thing, and I feel as though I have received various coordinates from God over the years in terms of what I need to be spending my time and my work on, and that’s really what I’m listening to. If following faithfully along those coordinates puts me in a season of praise with a certain group of people, that’s fine — but I don’t do it to get in those graces, and neither am I upset if that also costs me some people along the road. I would much rather be faithful than successful…” -Derek Webb

Photo Credit: Two Roads Diverge

8 Coffee Talks on “I Would Rather Be Faithful Than Successful”

1. Michelle says:

i love this, Sarah.

Hope you have a blessed week and a Merry Christmas. These words are a gift I will be pondering upon.

2. Charise says:

I like that. Now if only I could walk in that in reality.

3. Lauren says:

i am walking that right now. it is really hard to do. thank you sarah mae for posting that…Merry Christmas to you

4. @AnnVoskamp says:

Brimming.
    Yes, that's it.
    Just this.

5. Beth WIlliams says:

I love the sentiment also!@ Would much rather be faithful to God than successful by world's standard!

God Bless you all and have a Christ-filled Christmas!

6. I believe if I am faithful and follow in the path I am supposed to be following, I will always be successful. They key is patience and obedience and crowning the Lord over my life instead of myself. For years I was in charge and kept making money but never fulfilled, always looking for something else – and not successful in my own mind. Once I stopped being such a control freak, things started to fall into place. Yes, many days during this change of mindset, I was crying in the fetal position, but I got through it and 3 years later I am still going strong. Hard days may come, but if I keep on reflecting on the Word and His promise for me to be successful, I will be!

7. Carla says:

This is great! I believe it points to a wrong view of 'success' we often own here in the first world, as well as the importance of what we choose to spend our time doing having intrinsic value.

8. Sarah says:

Thank you for sharing this, Sarah! I'm in this place right now…