Bones, Taquitos, and Trances *UPDATE*

I haven’t written on my blog in a few weeks; I’ve been busy working on Desperate, watching way too many episodes of Bones (we have streaming Netflicks so we can watch the episodes back to back), and reading (The Hunger Games Trilogy and Water for Elephants).

I’m tired most days, but I had a few spurts of energy the couple days before Christmas where I cleaned and organized like I was in a trance. No, I’m not pregnant, but I was seriously nesting.

I only made two batches of Christmas cookies.

I’ve consumed way too many chicken and cheese Taquitos (this is what happens when you watch too many episodes of Bones). I’m pretty sure I’ve gained about 10 lbs. thanks to Don Miguel. *UPDATE*! They’re NOT Don Miguel, they’re Jose Ole! Can’t believe I posted about the wrong Taquitos! :)

Christmas came and went, as did my child-like wonder. Life is becoming such a blur…

Fast and faster every year. The seasons come and go and I can barely breathe them in. Life is spinning and I’d slow down but I seem to thrive in the dance. But one can only dance for so long.

Tonight I plan on curling up with my husband and watching more episodes of Bones, promising myself that tomorrow I’ll make room for the stillness.

How are all of you doing? Any of you relate with the blur of life and missing child-like wonder? Any good book recommendations (I’m really interested in fiction right now)?

P.S. I highly recommend The Hunger Games. The writing is extraordinary and the story (and its characters) won’t let you go; you’ll be dreaming about the unfolding story for days after you’ve finished.

19 Coffee Talks on “Bones, Taquitos, and Trances *UPDATE*”

1. Kristen says:

so nice to see you writing here again my friend! I so relate to the whir… and it does just get fasterand faster it seems! I'm planning to grab e Hunger Games per your recommendation…. I need new fiction! And I love Bones… its the show my hubby and I watch together :) As far as fiction rcommendations… Have you read "The Sweetness at the Bottom of the Pie?" Its the first in a series… delightfully woven murder mysteries set in 1950 in England with a witty heroine who happens to be an 11 yr old chemist. Love them! Or to go old school, " A Room With a View?" Really anything by Forester is fantastic and worthy of your apprenticship as a writer. Happy reading and Merry Christmas!

• Joy says:

Oooh, I am going to have to get my hands on these! :)

2. Becca says:

I loved Hunger Games! I put it off and off cause the cover looked like a Tom Clancy novel and finally i was bored and decided to flip thru and i was hooked! I have discovered that i have a strange affinity for post apocolyptic novels, lol. So strange yet so fascinating. We just moved a month ago and it has been chaos trying to settle into a new city plus prepare for the holidays, but i think we are finally in a place of peace. Merry Christmas!

3. Paula says:

I can't wait to read The Hunger Games. I've heard it's great. I just finished reading "The Dragon's Tooth" by N.D. Wilson. He also wrote "100 Cupboards" which is also a great read.

4. MOMKABOODLE says:

YES to the crazy blur! I'm into crime fiction – I love Tess Gerittsen & Philip Margolin. She's a doctor and he's a lawyer their knowledge of their field makes their writing so much…fuller.
    Praying that you find rest….Merry Christmas!

5. Jan Udlock says:

I love Laura Child's Tea Shop murder mysteries. (She's written 6-8 of them so far!) I love the characters and all the talk about tea and food. Total fluff but amazing writing and I like to read them because I have enough reality in my life. It's clean and has an strong woman protagonist. Love 'em.

6. Jess says:

I love Bones! I went through a season of watching way too much of it this summer.

I am rereading Little Women. Just feels like a good Christmastime read. And I downloaded The Help onto my iPod for when I'm knitting or cleaning. I spent a lot of time this month crafting for the holiday so I am really looking forward to spending some time reading in January! I may have to check out your recommendations…

7. Brandi Watson says:

Darn them for adding a new season of Bones right before Christmas! We have been hooked as well, but I figure atleast it's something we do together :) Hope you had a Merry Christmas! I so enjoy the encouraging posts on your blog and thank you for all the time you put into it…

8. Nikki @ CMB says:

I am a Bones junkie. Love it and lost a bit of time to it myself when I tried to get caught up! Merry Christmas!

9. Lori says:

We're Bones fans here, too!! And we watch on Netflix as well. I've got a couple of books going on at the moment, but Lisa Scottoline is a dependable favorite of mine.

10. Bones… admittedly I’ve never heard of it. ;) Fiction recommendations? I’ve not a one. Living life in a blur… now there is something I can relate to!! LOL Yes, I can hardly believe it is almost 2012, another year has come and gone. My oh my!!!

My goal? Slow down!! Smell the roses, enjoy my family. I’ve not blogged recently either. I should do that, I’ve been just enjoying my family lately, and am content to keep it up! ;)

Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year Miss Sarah Mae!! Slow down a bit sister, love the little years :D Many blessings to you!

11. amy says:

Loved the Hunger Games and am enjoying Water for Elephants as we speak! Once I finish this, I need some good recommendations! Please share any more good reads when you find them!

12. I'm praying for you and Sally (and your families) as you write "Desperate"….I'm praying you are strengthened by the power of the Holy Spirit as you abide in Jesus Christ and write on your knees. Like you, I am in the "trenches" of parenting now and I am so thankful to have Titus 2 women encourage me and a book like this will stir us mommies on to love and good deeds. I am so thankful you have Sally and I am so thankful you are obeying the Lord and writing this book together. You no doubt will be stretched during this process for His purpose of sharing with us how His power is made perfect I our weaknesses–keep writing….I am fervently praying for you my sister in Christ.
    *Psalm 131 :)

13. I call these kind of times 'emotional vacations'. They are so necessary. Sometimes life just slows down as does motivation for a while to collect again. We haven't done much for December with the craziness but are having a blast with our kids this week.

14. Well. . . as far as new fiction goes I like my Livingstone Library series of 'smart books for smart kids'. But since good literature is ageless. . . and these stories contain deep spiritual truths hidden beneath an interesting plot and clever dialog. . . you might enjoy it! In fact, the first book, 'Speak No Evil' can be downloaded free — it's a new secret — but you can find it here: http://livingstonelibrary.com/spknoevil/

Enjoy your downtime; you'll be busy again soon!

15. I have to admit that "Bones" is one of my favorite TV shows. As far as reading I am currently reading "Jane Eyre" which is one of my favorite classics. I did just get Hunger Games on my Kindle Fire and can't wait to read it. I was thinking about reading Water for Elephants.

I have heard that The Help is good but I have not read it yet.

16. Leah says:

Redeeming Love by Francine Rivers…ANYTHING by Francine Rivers. Never been so eager to have Christmas over with….
    Leah´s last [type] ..Death has lost it’s sting…
    Leah´s last [type] ..Death has lost it’s sting…

17. Tiffani says:

I'm a huge reader as well! I really enjoyed "The Shadow of the Wind" by Carlos Ruiz Zafon and "The Thirteenth Tale" by Diane Setterfield. Happy New Year!

18. Joy says:

Well, since I love Water for Elephants and The Time Traveler's Wife (and now thanks to you am happily engrossed in Katniss Everdeen's life story), here are some great fiction books I read this year:
    The Help, The Book Thief (excellent), The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society, A Tree Grows in Brooklyn, and Hotel on the Corner of Bitter and Sweet.