A Wise Woman Manages Her Time

(Me with my precious six year old at her first piano recital-she’s growing up so fast)

I’m scared of losing my children.

I’m also scared of losing myself…and I’m not even sure who that “self” is.

Life has become a disillusionment to me and everyday that I just keep moving without stopping to get a hold of myself and my life, I’m one more day lost. And the days are going by in a blur.

I used to be a good mom. I used to try to be a good wife and homemaker. But something in the last year has changed and now I’m just tired and depressed. I need to come back.

I’m taking a month off of blogging so I can take an inventory of my life, my goals, my purpose. I want to be a wise woman, and a women with depth. Right now, I’m a shell of what I used to be…or who I hoped I’d become.

My plans for the month are to eat. I’m desperate to feast on the Word and let it fill me up again. I’ll also be digesting Tell Your Time, Blogger Behave, and Educating the WholeHearted Child. I need a plan for my life, and I intend to get on with it.

I love my babes, and I love my husband and I am so thankful for our home and the life God has given me. He is so good and so patient and so gentle. But life rushed or lost is no full life, and I need filled. I don’t want to regret my life and how I lived it. The time is now.

Thanks for reading.

“How we live our days, of course, is how we live our lives.” -Annie Dillard

69 Coffee Talks on “A Wise Woman Manages Her Time”

1. Alle says:

Sweet sister – I'm praying for you – totally understand that place and commend you for taking a step back to evaluate, reflect, and prayerfully come to the Throne. Enjoy the quiet…enjoy the peace of centering yourself in His will…blessings and prayers!

2. Janelle says:

good for you.

you can only truly give what you have.
    thank you for your inspiration in so many ways.
    love from your fellow lancaster county blogger. :)

3. Sam says:

Thank you for this transparent post-and for taking a step back.

4. Peggy says:

Blessings as you seek God in all of this. This is very wise and God will honor your desire to seek the life and moments He has for you.

5. Erica says:

I am coming out of being in this same place.. its not a fun place to be at all. So thankful that you recognize the need to step back, evaluate and spend time with the Lord. Its truly the best (and only) place that we can go for the refreshment of our souls.

Keeping you in prayer!

6. Christa says:

GIRL you are not alone! I pray that your time brings you back refreshed, renewed, and with a clear sense of what's going on!!! God bless you!! (((HUGS)))

7. Carolyn says:

Blessing to you! I totally understand! We're all servants; but if the servants don't eat or sleep, they will die. I'm a little bit where you are right now, as well, and, much to my children's dismay, am cutting out many activities from our homeschooling, wanting time to just be a family and grow in God's Word. I'll take a sebatical with you, if that's ok!

8. Stacey says:

Just wanted to share a resource that helped me. You may not get it until you return, but here it is anyway. http://michaelhyatt.com/life-plan ((hugs))

9. cheryl says:

Many of us home schooling moms give so, so much and have found ourselves in the same place you are now, especially when our homes are full of young children. I will be praying for you. You are wise to fill yourself with God's word. Rest. May the one who loves you most fill your heart, mind, and soul! Sending you love as another mom walking the journey day by day…

10. @hd_mom says:

Prayers for you sweet sister. We all have times where we feel empty & need to recharge. Like Erica & the other ladies I am also trying to emerge from this place. Keep your head high & lean on the Father.

11. Cassie says:

I just started homeshooling 3out of my 5 children….since we moved and my husband started a church! Life is very full right now, and I can totally relate to what you are talking about! Thank you for your honesty. It is refreshing indeed.

12. Lynn says:

Good for you! It will be a Great month

13. Olivia says:

"My plans for the month are to eat. I’m desperate to feast on the Word and let it fill me up again…But life rushed or lost is no full life, and I need filled. I don’t want to regret my life and how I lived it."

May your open-hearted honesty challenge others to do the same. I'm right there with you – feeling like I'm on a speeding train while time/my kids/MY LIFE whizzes by and I haven't the chance to take it in. I need to learn to be still again. To soak Him in. Here's to filling up!

14. Dear Friend… Remember… THIS is part of who you are to become. Most miss this chance and glide along.. BUT, you will find peace, and be made into a Perfect Creation- through this transformation… Keep pressing on. I am praying for you, and excited to see the Sarah Mae God has been working in and THRU for so long – emerge whole again! Be still my friend. ((Hugs))
    September anne´s last [type] ..When you get the “De-Clutter Bug”….
    September anne´s last [type] ..When you get the “De-Clutter Bug”….

15. Randi says:

Amen, sister! Take your time and enjoy your family.

16. Sarah says:

I'll be praying for you, Sarah – our souls know when they need to rest and find their anchor again. I hope your life slows down so you can enjoy it. I look forward to hearing you again in a month or so!

17. Sarah Mae I've just started reading this: http://m.youversion.com/reading-plans/busy-women through an app on my phone. I can even set it to remind me to read it at a certain time every day. Praying for you.

18. Annie says:

Thanks for your transparency here, Sarah Mae. It is good step away and soak it in, to return to the One who defines us and find that quiet center in His promises, to just be, to abide, to dwell in Him, this is my prayer for you these weeks, and for me, for each of us. Thank you.

19. Melinda T says:

Oh goodness, I think most women (& men) can relate! Thats one thing I'll be working on in 2012, managing my time! Thanks for sharing those books, I'll definitely have to check them out! And I'll be praying for you! Take care!

20. Praying this retreat is refreshing for you. You may already have it, but I highly recommend Kat's outline for an annual retreat on her blog Inspired to Action. Enjoy these days with your little ones, nourish you soul with God's Word, know that God sees far beyond what we can and trust in that. Here's to getting "on with it" together, this journey called life.

21. brenda says:

He's waiting for you, arms outstretched, ready to wrap you in His peace. I pray your joy is restored quickly (Ps. 51:12), and look forward to your return.

22. Jaimie says:

You are leading us all; so many of us need to do this as well. When we start feeling disillusioned, this is exactly what we should all be doing – taking time to be still and soak in the Word. Thank you for the reminder, and may we all do the same!

23. Flamingo says:

amen and amen. good for you for being the wise one to step back with honesty.. that is where we often fail. thank you for making me think today.

24. Melissa D says:

It's so hard to step back from the many good things that clamor for us every day. And yet there is no substitute for The One Real Thing and his plans for us….

25. titus2woman says:

OH sweet sister, I am right there with you!!!!!!!! I'll remember to pray for you whenever I struggle so myself.

26. Michelle says:

I've been there many times and am still-re-evaluating my priorities! I have read, and am still working through Tell Your Time by Amy. I love her book.

Sally's book is also a yearly re-read for me!

I will pray for you as the Lord brings you to mind. I am still praying and seeking for His wisdom for me as well!

Love and hugs!

27. Katy says:

Thank you so much for your honesty. Wow. Once again the Lord is reconfirming things that He has been whispering to my heart. I definitely have some thinking and praying to do! Thanks for being real!

28. Praying for you, Sarah Mae! Allow God to totally upend your idea of what you thought you wanted. His ways are BETTER! JESUS is better!
    Love ya!

29. Bonita says:

Wise choice, Sarah Mae. You've had lots of success in other areas this year but, as you can see, it sometimes comes at a cost. Praying that you will fill up and find balance. I admire you for knowing when it's time to pull back and focus on what matters most.

30. joseph cantone says:

i got your back with prayer. i have no doubt your life will be all God wants it to be.

31. Beth WIlliams says:

Sarah,

My hubby is sooo there with you. He needs to take about 1 month off work and life. I pray you find what you need & rest in His sweet love!

I am seeking guidance for my life as well. Work has changed and at times life seems to go by sooo fast that you miss out on things.

God bless you for your honesty!

32. Jenie says:

Prayers for you Sarah! And don’t feel bad about your blog, take care of you :)

33. A very wise woman you are. I am excited to see where the Lord leads you. Bless you.

34. Jennifer says:

Much of what you've said here resonates deeply with me. I've not really known who "I" am for a long,long time. And I'm so very tired. Praying this time is truly renewing and refreshing for you.

35. I am right on that same page with you. Thanks for your honesty. For that very reason my blogging has been very spotty this year. Looking to get things back in order and be more consistent in many areas. Praying your month long break is profitable for you.
    Blogger Behave was "given" out at Relevant but I never wrote down the code. If it is still available that way can you email me the code? Thanks!

36. Carrie says:

Thanks for sharing your heart. I am also in that place at this very time in my life. Praying for you and alongside you sweet lady. :)

37. Clio says:

I'll be praying for you to find your nourishment and fill your soul. You certainly have filled mine. God bless.

38. Michelle says:

So thankful for your vulnerability. This world needs more of it. I know God is faithful and he will help you map out your way again. He will bless your rest with Him.

39. I'll miss you but I completely understand your need to rest & find nourishment in the Word & the Lord. I look forward to hearing what the Lord teaches you. Blessings to you & yours in 2012 :)

40. Rebecca says:

You are so honest and transparent – you give women light into their own heart with posts like these, and encouragement to do and be.

41. Sarah says:

All I needed to do was read the title of this post and I was immediately convicted!!! Thank you for that!! Good for you for taking a break and focusing on what's important – the Lord and your family! We all need to do that sometimes! Praying for you!

42. Kim Frey says:

Hi Sarah Mae,

As a retired homeschool Mom that just had her last daughter get married, I can definitely agree that life goes by in a blur! Looking back, I can remember a couple of things that REALLY helped me as a young Mom… In my first year of homeschooling, when I was struggling with keeping up with home, school, family, and church activities, a Mom of Many spoke at our support group and the most profound thing she said was "Your family is your ministry." The other very influential idea was the principle of "Seasons in Life." Those two ideas combined gave me a foundation on which to base my daily decisions. I'm a "helper" sort of person, so I often overloaded myself trying to help or minister to others, but whenever I became overwhelmed or out of balance, it helped to ask myself if this thing would be a blessing to my husband and girls, as well as "Is this the season in my life to be doing this?" Matter of fact, I STILL ask those two questions almost every day!

Take care, and God Bless!
    Kim

43. Praying that God fills you with a new zest for life. Everyone needs to make the time to evaluate there life and goals. Seasons come and seasons go and sometimes those seasons require adjustments that are a must. I also pray that God speaks tenderly and gives you specific direction.

God bless you and look forward to hearing what God is going to do.
    Tracy

44. S.Pelfrey says:

if only more of us woman were courageous enough (like you're being now) to admit we are trying too hard to be superwoman, yet are missing the mark by trying so hard. Your example of stepping back is EXACTLY what more of us (myself included) need to do, because in our efforts to be superwoman, we are failing miserably at the calling God's placed on our lives. When we fail to take care of OURSELVES the way God intends us to, we fail to BE who He called us to be, and to serve the people who matter most (our husbands & children & family). Thank you for your humble example… I downloaded "Tell Your Time" to my nook and intend on working through it… I believe you are experiencing was many of us women and mothers are experiencing-thank you for taking the first step! Love & blessings to you as you walk in obedience to Him.

45. Leslie Howey says:

We will miss you, but hurrayyy for your wisdom and we know the answers will be liberally given by the Great Answer-giver! Looking forward to your return.

46. Sharon O says:

Will miss you but know that you will come back with a clear vision and a new 'way' of encouraging your readers. Enjoy your blog and hearing about your life.

47. omega57 says:

Good that you are heeding the need for time with Him. The discovery of managing the tension of absolutes adn desires of our lives is not always easy. I am reminded of the feast times when God told the Israelites to take off 3 times a year and do no unnecessary work. (See instructions wiht the feasts) A freeing concept! God wants our attention in unique ways and for us to spend dedicated time regularly resting, reflecting and worshipping. Trusting it will be an amazing time!

48. Debbie says:

You are a wise woman Sarah Mae! The fact that you recognized what's going on with you and are doing something about it is good. I'm sure with the success of your eBook there may be pressure to keep up and produce. I want to add that your eBook on writing and marketing an eBook has been so helpful to me. At least I know where to start and a bit about how to do this now thanks to you.

We will still be around when you've had time to sit at His feet. After all, the Lord will direct you in the way you should go much better than Google could help you. :)

"Be still and know that He is God."

blessings and love,
    Debbie

49. Rosann says:

I totally understand how you feel. I'm about to publish my first eBook, inspired by YOU :-), and I feel completely pulled away from my family. The details of the book are consuming everything I am. I feel torn in so many different directions and I don't want to miss out on what's truly important either. Sarah you are always an inspiration to me. I appreciate your honesty and it's good to know you're human too! I've often wondered how you do it and maintain some kind of normalcy with life. Enjoy your time off. I will pray for God to renew and refresh your spirit. :-)

~Many Blessings,
    Rosann

50. candydawn says:

I have been where you are (and will probably be there again)…… Praying for you as you spend time with Our Lord. On the plus side, I have noticed that when I come to the end of myself, that is right where God wants me.