The Chore System that Works for Our Babes (So Far)

The Lord must have heard my pleas for help because He gave me a little organizer.

My 5 year old Ella loves things to be organized, and it is not uncommon in my household to hear, “mommy, can I go organize my drawers, just for fun, pleeeeeeease?” Organizing, yes, cleaning, not so much. She gets overwhelmed and emotional at the very thought of cleaning her room (apparently, she does have my DNA). We needed a system that would work. I decided to try a chore book I purchased about a year ago but had yet to put in place.

I printed out the chore cards from Managers of their Chores, put the packs together, and showed her how to use them. I told her, “we’ll start with a morning chore pack and see how it goes; once you get used to it we can move on to more chore packs.”

Friends, a beautiful thing has occurred. My little babe LOVES cleaning her room now (and doing all of her chores). I kid you not. She wakes up in the morning and gets to it (there is an organizing aspect of the chore cards, which is why I think she thrives with them). She’s done before breakfast and is glowing because she accomplished something. So have I.

She is learning to be a manager of her domain, and this will serve her well in years to come. She also is ready for the afternoon and evening chore packs, “can I please have more chore packs mommy?!” Chore packs, FTW.

My son (4) also enjoy the chore packs, but he needs a little more help with his, so we work together. It is yet to be seen whether this system will be just right for him – we’ll have to wait and see.

Below is a video of Ella explaining how she uses her chore packs – grab your babes and enjoy!

(if you can’t see the video, click here)

28 Coffee Talks on “The Chore System that Works for Our Babes (So Far)”

1. Lori says:

she is adorable! A little teacher! You are so blessed she loves organization! I hope she keeps that!

2. Wooohoo!!! Welcome to the wonderful world of Chore Packs!!! We've been using them for years too and they are a lifesaver – here's pics of my kids using them: http://womenlivingwell-courtney.blogspot.com/2009…

This is one key to getting it all done! I figure – if the kids can work a computer and wii system they can run a dish washer right? lol!

Courtney

3. Shellina says:

She is adorable! Good job, momma. It'll be fun to see how my little one takes to chores when the time comes… it seems to me his first chore of the day is to dump out his entire toy bin as of yet. (He's 2)

4. Christin says:

Oh.my.goodness she is so adorable! Just adorable!

OK, so, I had my kiddos watch little Ella show off her chore pack and my 3 youngest, who also have picture cards, were intrigued someone else had the same chores {and chore packs} as they did. Gave them a little motivation ;-)

Thanks so much for sharing!! :)

5. Lisa M. says:

I just ordered the book and an extra set of cards! (I have 6 babes) Thank you for sharing this resource; hopefully it'll help my house become a more organized home.

6. Wendy Gunn says:

Yes, a born communicator:) She did a great job of explaining this, and obviously loves it! (With your son, it could also be a first born-second born thing).

I love the chore packs idea! We didn't have that idea when my kids were little, but I made my own, I guess. I had it all on one sheet and put contact paper over it, and hung it on the fridge where they could see it.

I also made one like your chore packs (same size and shape) to go around the neck for in the laundry room, which explained the steps for doing a load of wash, again with contact paper, and a hole punched in the top. I should've marketed the idea; I could have made millions–haha.

This was a great video, Sarah Mae! I see a future for Ella:) Video tutorials!
    Wendy

7. S Club Mama says:

Oh she is SO cute! I love this. It's also a little schedule for her, too. If I find our chore chart isn't working, I may adapt this for my kiddos :)

8. jenny says:

She is so stinkin' cute!!!!!!!!!!! I am SO gonna do this with my kids! Thanks!

9. jen says:

I have been thinking of a way to tweak this just a little…maybe putting the cards in a pocket chart and flipping them over when it's done? I tried this with the necklace before and the pieces got lost.

10. Karen says:

What a cutie! I can't wait to start this system. My little one just turned 3, so I am wondering when to start. She loves to help with chores around the house and I am learning that I need to keep this enthusiasm going and not just do everything myself because I don't want to slow down…..

11. Alexxus says:

Too cute, Sarah Mae! Your little Ella is adorable!!! Like, beyond comprehension. Little kids are so cute. =) =) =)

12. Nadia says:

I love this idea. My sister has been doing this for a year or so. My question, where do you get those type of necklaces at?

13. Beck Gambill says:

Wonderful! I was just saying yesterday that it was time to put something in place for my son (7) to have regular chores and responsibilities. But I had no idea where to start, thanks for sharing!

14. KristinaD says:

That's awesome! The video is so cute!

15. Lisa says:

My youngest is 9 and she sounds exactly like your Ella! She loves to organize, but can't figure out how to clean her room.

16. Valerie says:

Awesome! My kids and I will watch the video tomorrow. Your son might like something like how I tweaked Chore Packs for our boys – we call them 'Habit Helpers' – they're little laminated cards on velcro dots and after they complete each job or chore, they unstick them and move them to a DONE column. The first DONE column is for if they needed a reminder or a better attitude, and the second DONE column says "I remembered to complete my job on my own and with a good attitude!"

If all of their daily jobs/chores are moved to the second column, they can slide over their little laminated fighter jet or army tank and that means they get a little reward – a treat or maybe a dime or something. We're still figuring it out. Some days their reward is satisfaction with a job well done, ha ha.

The army tank says 'Good habits will serve you for the rest of your life'. The background of the whole thing is camo scrapbook paper, 59 cents each. Customizing them for BOYS made all the difference!

Can you tell we were desperate for some motivation and change around here?! :)

17. SJBeals says:

She is precious! My oldest daughter is WAY more organized than I could ever dream to be! I swear, she thinks in "systems."

18. Emily says:

*All of the Maxwell's resources are simply fabulous! Their books are some of the very best! http://www.titus2.com

19. Jasmine says:

Sarah Mae, she's a little you. Too cute. Thanks for sharing. I have tried everything.

20. Frugal Momma says:

So awesome, Sarah! Now, I need to try this with my little three year old!

21. Jennifer says:

wow! what a great idea! UNLOAD THE DISHWASHER!?!? So great! Why did I think that was a chore for teenagers??

22. Wish I had the chore pack around 12 years ago. My babe is 17. He unloads the dishwasher great but for some reason he feels he only needs to put around 6 dishes on top and 6 to 8 on the bottom. LOL http://tracyscoffeecafe.wordpress.com/

23. Traci Peyton says:

We were able to attend an evening with the Maxwell family & came away greatly encouraged!! The chore pack is an awesome resource.
    Precious little lady as well!

24. Emma and Lauren want to know what other chores she does in a day! :)

25. Breezy says:

This was so sweet! It brought back memories, and I love to imagine my future kiddos enjoying it, too.

26. KellySinging says:

We use those! They are such a God-send! I made a set for their personal responsibilities before breakfast and a set for chores for later in the day. They got to the point where they didn't even need the packs. I need to introduce them to the new weekly chores packs so I am going to show my boys the video for a little bit of refreshed inspiration. ;)

27. Anna says:

I ordered the Managers of Their Chores recently. It's coming over with my in-laws at the end of the month. I hope my kids take to it as well as yours. :)

28. Donna S says:

Oh my! That video was so sweet! we're just putting our chore packs together today. When my daughter, Claire (5) heard the video she ran in. It was great because I told her that we could watch a video of my friends little girl who has a chore pack too. When it was over Claire was so excited and asked when she gets her chore pack. So Thanks to Ella for explaining to my daughter how it's done! :)