Oh, Right, That’s Why I’m a Stay-at-Home Mama

Yesterday I was driving in the car with my babes (the cheese wagon. WOOT!) and we were talking about how daddy goes to work to provide for the family and mama stays home to teach and train the babes.

Oh yea.

I’m not home to be a “work-at-home-mom”, I’m hear to teach and train my kiddos, and that is my number one priority.

How quickly I forget…

37 Coffee Talks on “Oh, Right, That’s Why I’m a Stay-at-Home Mama”

1. Jessalyn says:

Oh yes, I was thinking about this a little while ago, how as stay at home moms we can feel like we are spending more quality time with our children, but in reality we can be spending just as much time "away" from them. Thanks for the reminder!

This is so true.

• Lisa Grace says:

I battled that so much when I was in college. And sometimes I feel inadequate when I'm not "contributing" (i.e. financially). But really, that is when I listen to 'others' and not to God, my husband, and my own heart.

2. Jessica W says:

Thank you for this reminder Sarah Mae. I'm a new SAHM (about 5 weeks in now) after working for 13 years (the last three being the first three of my daughter's life). Expecting #2 and finally able to stay home. I have to admit I've been struggling with it. Just today I've been asking the Lord, "Is this really what I'm cut out to do." The truth is. . .my personality may not be made for this but He's called me to it and therefore there is grace to be at home to teach and train my babes. Love that! Thanks again for this simple yet very encouraging post today!

• valleygirl says:

I have often felt that same way though I knew I was to be home. It was like a battle in mind CONSTANTLY going "I'm no good at this" and yet "This is where I'm meant to be." Oh I tell ya I used to have some HARD days. But it's gotten better because I know that if this is where He has called me then He has ALREADY equipped me…I just need to walk in confidence and join in on the learning curve.

3. Chelsea Koanui says:

‎"The homemaker has the ultimate career. All other careers exist for one purpose only – and that is to support the ultimate career. "
    — C.S. Lewis

4. valleygirl says:

It's definitely hard to remember sometimes! I've found that writing a vision statement for my "job" as a mom as it relates to what I hope to one day see develop in my kids works wonders. Hang it up in a place you can read it often and dream big. On "those" days, a quick glance and it's easy to remember why we do what we do. :)

5. Julie Rothacher says:

I can't wait til my almost 3 year old, 16 month old and 4 month old are old enough to have these kind of conversations. My 3 year old, Magdalene, tells me often, "daddys go to work and mommys go to wal-mart". Thanks for the reminder!!!

"daddys go to work and mommys go to wal-mart"
      Haha! That is so cute!

6. Katie says:

So true!!!!

7. Melissa says:

that was my son's answer to today's Mary challenge question!! "that you teach me stuff" I though for sure it would be "cooking" :)

8. SMP says:

After 6 years of me being home with the kids while my husband worked outside the home to provide, some extraordinary circumstances have created a situation where my husband and I have now SWAPPED roles … I just started a full-time job outside the home this week, and DAD is staying home full-time (while also pursuing a Ph.D. and volunteering for a non-profit org. we are involved with).

It took me quite some time (and reminders like the ones in this blog) to truly grasp (and accept) my PURPOSE as a SAHM. My husband has a fantastic attitude about the whole thing and knows that the opportunity he has right now is unique and special (dedicated time with the kids, opportunities to bond w/ them in ways he might otherwise not have, etc.), but I know that as time goes on in this season of life, he will run into those days where it seems futile … and even meaningless.

This message is a good one – and it goes for ANY parent who stays home, mom OR dad. He, too, is teaching and training our children … from the unique perspective only a Father can give. :)

9. Megan says:

My kids are in public school and I have a harder time remembering that I still teach and train babies even though they are away for a large chunk of the day. I had to do a little attitude adjustment: now I try to focus on making sure my home runs like a well-oiled machine so that no time is wasted when my family is all together after school/work.

How do you run it like a "well-oiled machine"? I'm home all day and I can't seem to do that! You go girl!

• Megan says:

I said I try to "focus on it" not that I actually accomplish it. LOL! :)

• Carla says:

I do that, too!! Cooking dinner at lunch time, running all errands, giving up some "ministry" that could be done while my kids are in school to make sure that I am available after school….some days I end up WAY TOO tired from "trying to be ready" for them, so it definately is a balancing act!

• valleygirl says:

Love your honesty Megan!!!! :)P

10. Renee says:

You are so right!

11. S Club Mama says:

That's very good to hear that your priorities are there. It's hard to remember that blogging is not our #1 responsibility but much farther down the line.

12. thebettermom says:

Love it!!

13. melissa says:

thank you for posting this! I have been struggling about how to write out my growth plan, but your words say it exactly! :)

14. Gail says:

We go through that conversation about every morning when my husband leaves for work. "Why does Daddy go to work?" I never thought to incorporate why Mommy stays home. I will do that from now on! Thanks for the reminder that our work at home is just as important as any other kind of work!

15. Rachel says:

Thank you!!! I've been feeling that itch to do more…and every time I do, God gives me a reminder of why I DON'T work for pay, even from home. This time, the reminder is right here. THANK YOU!!!

16. notscrambled says:

As an empty nester, I can tell you that time goes by too fast! Embrace your time together, it's such a gift from God! Love that beautiful picture!

17. Kristina Joy says:

I loved the Doorposts link you shared yesterday on Facebook…the one about how godly parenting is not about organizing our children, it's about pastoring them. This structure handicapped mom was encouraged to remember that!

18. Amanda M. says:

That is great! Sometimes kids have a way of reminding you or making you remind yourself why we do things. My daughter is my first priority since I am at home. I mean lets face it, in this day and age, I wouldn't be staying home if I were not a mom.

19. Traci says:

An awesome reminder Sarah Mae!

<3 Traci @ Ordinary Inspirations http://www.ordinaryinspirations.blogspot.com

20. Sonya says:

It is so funny you post this. I had a work from home job for 6 years and did very well at it, and one day the Lord woke me up and said "walk away" My first thought was how, I had a huge team of ladies and a good thing going myself. Then the Lord provided the path for me to "walk away" and then whispered I have in-trusted you as a wife and mother. I have taken that very seriously ever since. I loved working when I wanted and being wife/mother however it took TOO much time away from what God has in-trusted me with. Now I am doing just that being a trainer and training my babies! I LOVE IT and SO glad that the Lord provides MY every need!!

Thank you for the great reminder!!
    hugs

21. Jacqualine says:

Jessica, I couldn't agree more. I too am just now starting my journey as SAHM (since Feb) and finding it VERY hard to be at home. I have a 12 yr old and a 2 month old so they keep me busy. I went into my old work today and found myself saying "I wanna come back – I miss working here". BUT I do believe God has called me to be at home. He opened some doors that would have never happened if it were not ordained by Him. I simply need to submit and do the best job I can at serving my husband, raising my children, and creating a peaceful home.

Sarah Mae – thanks for the reminder – it came just as I needed to hear it ;)

22. Tay says:

I so look up to stay at home moms, and mom in general. I hope to be as awesome as all of my motherly role models one day when I become in a mom in a few {or ten!} years!

Thanks for being such an awesome blogger! :)

23. homekeepers says:

Cute picture! My daughter wore that same dress yesterday (and cried when she had to put jammies on). She loves that dress. Great post and a good reminder for all of us.

24. I LOVE it when what He's speaking to you is what He's speaking to me. Thank you for this very concise, no-brainer, lovely, and gentle reminder for me to take a step back, relax, and enjoy the very high calling of being the MOM! Sarah Mae, you are a treasure.

25. Shannon says:

This is the first time I have been to your blog and this post was perfect for me! I get caught up in so many other things that I always need to be reminded of the real point of being a SAHM!

26. Stephanie says:

I've been reading your blog for a while, but haven't mustered up the courage to comment until now.

I started bawling like an idiot while reading your blog today. I can't even begin to explain how badly I needed to hear this kind of encouragement. My obstinate feminist self (who CERTAINLY didn't need God meddling in her life, thankyouverymuch) recently developed a hardcore infatuation with The Holy Spirit and a conviction to stay at home and raise my babe (and any future plurals) to feel the same. Unfortunately, I'm also stuck in a 6-year contract with the Navy and stationed 500-some miles from my husband for the foreseeable future. Needless to say, my knees are developing some lovely carpet indentations from frequent lengthy prayer sessions.

I guess what I'm trying to say is, thank you for helping me feel like I can handle this.

27. Liz says:

cute picture! I just found this blog but I will be returning for sure!