Absolute Ideals, Absolute Grace

Walking two by two_0959

This morning as I opened my bible, I prayed that the Lord would give me revelation into His Word. My eyes then fell where I’d left off in my last reading:

“You have heard that it was said, An eye for an eye and a tooth for a tooth. But I say to you , Do not resist the one who is evil. But if anyone slaps you on the right cheek, turn to them the other also. And if anyone would sue you and take yor tunic, let him have your cloak as well. And if anyone forces you to go one mile, go with him two miles. Give to the one who begs from you, and do no refuse the one would borrow from you.” Matthew 5: 38-42

This passage, along with the surrounding scripture on how we should live in such counter-earthly ways, is stunning to me. Like cold water thrown in my sleepy face, I’m alerted again to just how extreme the God I follow is. There is nothing luke warm about Him.

As I read through these uncompromising words, I’m thinking, “I don’t live like this…this is insane and wild and yet, what I’ve been called to.” He has called me, us, to throw off our old selves and put on the new (Colossians 3:9). The old = walk according to what you think is right/justified. The new (which is a game-changer) = walk with Jesus, the radical.

Walk an extra mile with the person you hate.

Let your stuff go.

Care more about someone’s soul then any thing you or any convenience you want to have.

And here’s the kicker: you’re not going to do it.

Neither am I, not nearly good enough anyway. Never to the extent that my heart would long to. My sin-flesh is still attached to the vessel that carries the Holy Spirit. Even though He is in me, I’m like a drunk woman weaving all over the place as I make my way home.

But the beauty? The unfolding magnificence of grace and truth. There are absolute ideals given to us by God, ideals that stem from His heart. But the flowing from the heart, the blood spilled, contains the other absolute: grace.

“Having fallen from the absolute Ideal, we have nowhere to land but in the safety net of absolute grace.” Philip Yancey, The Jesus I Never Knew

In the everyday, in how we walk out our lives and strive to follow the ideals, we must remember that the heart of the Father is that we would have a heart like His.

That’s the point.

Be like Jesus, and when you fail at it, let Him be Him for you.

__

Photo Credit: Walking by Two

18 Coffee Talks on “Absolute Ideals, Absolute Grace”

1. SJBeals says:

beautifully said, Sarah Mae.

2. Kimberly Dial says:

"Be like Jesus, and when you fail at it, let Him be Him for you" … Thank you for 'saying' that because I sure needed to hear it. Your blog never ceases to inspire me. God bless you my sweet Sister in the Lord!

3. Christin says:

"Be like Jesus, and when you fail at it, let Him be Him for you." Love that.

4. lib says:

HI my name is Liberty and I weave like a drunk woman all.the.time. Always in need of that {sobering} absolute grace…
    Wonderful post!
    Blessings! http://bit.ly/keeQpH

5. gailtheimperfecthousewife says:

Ah, I agree with Liberty. Very well said. We try to walk the straight and narrow, and yet I find myself all over the place, turned around, not knowing which way I'm going. Great reminder of how big our God is, and how much He expects of us! Thank you for these encouraging words!

6. Shonni says:

Yes, beautifully said!!!

7. What a lovely post!! I especially loved "I’m like a drunk woman weaving all over the place as I make my way home." That would describe how I have been feeling lately, although I wonder if I am making my way home or just spinning my wheels.

8. Carey Bailey says:

Thanks for His mercies everyday and the fact that I NEVER have to do this life alone. With Joy, Carey

9. Stephanie says:

Ooh, this hit uncomfortably close to home today. I was just thinking about the numerous conflicts I have with a co-worker who unfortunately out-ranks me, and how sinfully satisfying it might be to tell him *precisely* what I think of him.

Reading this was like hearing God say, "Yeah, about that…we need to talk."

10. Barbie says:

Loved this!

11. “His divine power has granted to us all things that pertain to life and godliness, through the knowledge of him who called us to his own glory and excellence, by which he has granted to us his precious and very great promises, so that through them you may become partakers of the divine nature, having escaped from the corruption that is in the world because of sinful desire.” (2 Peter 1:3-4 ESV)

Let him be it for you! Amen.

12. Bonnie says:

Loved this…
    the scripture in Matthew was part of what I was reading this morning!
    Beautifully written :)

13. Wonderful! I find that I often pray that others will find the Lord's grace and mercy overflowing through them, knowing how often judgmentalism is the fire in their heart. How often I forget, however, that I must be the one who lives that same grace and mercy. Too often I've lived in my own light, thinking that I'm okay and everyone else is the problem. Jesus tells us to live in His light and think more like Him. He who had every right to strike me down at the first rebellion instead chose to embrace and love me – even when I struck Him with the cross. I pray that I always remember such mercy so that it overflows through me.

14. Monica says:

Thank you for sharing! Grace….it defines my life. I'm so glad He has set us free….to be imperfect.

15. Amanda M. says:

That is very well said!!! It really is a splash in the face of how we should live. It is very easy to forget how much a radical Jesus was while he walked on the earth. I too would love to say I would live exactly in the footsteps of Jesus, but I am human and I will faultier. But the grace of God is amazing. And when we grow weary we will "soar on wings like eagles, run and not grow weary, walk and not be faint" (Isa 40:31). Our God is an awesome God!

16. I am so thankful for His grace because I fail at being like Jesus every.single.day. Lovely post my friend! Wanted to stop by and say hello. I still love your header you know – it makes me feel warm and cozy whenever I stop by. Hugs! Love ya! :)

17. Beautiful post. I fail on a regular basis but I am so thankful that I covered by the blood of Jesus and that His mercies are new everyday. I pray that I love on people and that they can see Jesus in me, and when I fail Paise God He is there to pick me back up.

18. Bria says:

Half the time I don't like myself that much anyway, and He doesn't want to leave me like that. He has something better, Himself. He is for us. For us….I could think on that all day.