The Good Kind of Gluttony

Oil Lamp

Burning the midnight oil…that’s when the fears come.

Alone with the computer, searching for affirmation; searching for “good enough.” The wired wireless draws me in and offers me life. But it’s empty and it gnaws at my heart like an unfed belly.

Trying to find life in something other than my Jesus always fails me. I’m thankful it does because in my starvation I crawl to Him, the only One who can feed me life.

So I take a seat at His full banquet table and I sense He is telling me to take what I need. I take. And I eat and I swallow life down into my spirit where His meets mine and I am nestled and nourished. I can’t get enough.

I want more, and He offers more, and He offers drink and it is all so good. This is the kind of gluttony that results in a fattened spirit so I’m taking all the calories I can cram in.

He is better than ice cream.

And there is always enough to go around.

___

Photo Credit: Oil Lamp

10 Coffee Talks on “The Good Kind of Gluttony”

1. Rebekah says:

God's timing is so perfect — this was a much much needed reminder for me this AM. As I "burn the midnight oil" or sit in the quiet of the wee morning hours, the worries, the fears, the lacks of faith come. Yes, my God is more than enough, and He will satisfy like no one and nothing else.

2. Dawn says:

Describes exactly how I have been feeling! Some days I find myself on the computer searching looking for soemthing and never satisfied. Instead when I get into God's Word that always fills me up and is so very satisfying! Thanks for this today!

3. Michelle says:

Praise God he is always there and gives freely.

4. Becki says:

Yes! He is enough, and more than enough. :) Thanks for this encouragement today.

5. lea says:

i love His banquet feasts and am ashamed that i sometimes choose
    ice cream, instead.

6. I love this Sarah Mae…I want to want His Word…seek, search, treasure, delight in, pursue, crave….Him.
    Your post caught my eye because I just bought an oil lamp like this at our local Saturday market :)

7. Marieke says:

Thank you! This is a wonderful reminder and encouragement for me today! In His Presence I find fullness of joy! Psalm 107:9 ~ " For He satisfies the longing soul, and the hungry soul He fills with good things."

8. Laura says:

This is awesome. Your Words are encouraging! Thank you.

9. Valerie says:

Ouch. This is so true. I've been feeling restless and anxious and wanting comfort food and blog hopping time. I need HIM.

You know what's so funny? Many times when this happens, He meets me right where I'm at, at an awesome blog like yours, and says this very thing! It's like going to get some fast food, and at the drive through window, in the bag of junk food, is a message from Him saying, "Come to Me. You will never be filled with this 'food'".

You know you have an anointed blog writer when almost every time she writes something, you think, Ouch, ouch, ouch, she wrote that for me! Keep it coming, Sarah Mae, your words inspire!

Hugs from Texas,
    Valerie

10. Rachel says:

Good kind of gluttony- yes! That's my kind of diet :). Well said, thanks for the reminder that He truly does satisfy like nothing else…