Desert Fury

“I’m willing to leave the familiar, I’m will to leave what I know if you go with me. I’m willing to go where you lead me, I’m willing to do what you say, if you stay with me. Crossing over, leaving all I know behind, crossing over and not knowing what I’ll find. Crossing over leaving all I know behind, crossing over knowing it’s You I’ll find.”

-Kathi Wilson, From the Nothing Will I Withhold CD

God is like the wind. He goes where He pleases, and no one knows where He is going, but His people follow. When the Israelites were rescued from slavery and led out of Egypt by a cloud and fire, they thanked God one minute for His power and complained the next that He took them from filled bellies and “security.” Even though they saw the glory of the Lord, they still turned their hearts back to their oppressors. And don’t I do the same.

“The wind blows wherever it pleases. You hear its sound, but you cannot tell where it comes from or where it is going. So it is with everyone born of the Spirit.” John 3:8

“As you do not know the path of the wind, or how the body is formed in a mother’s womb, so you cannot understand the work of God, the Maker of all things.” Ecclesiastes 11:5

From the Westminster Shorter Catechism:

Q4: What is God?

A4: God is a Spirit (Luke 24:39, John 4:24), infinite, eternal, and unchangeable, in his being, wisdom, power, holiness, justice, goodness, and truth.

___

Photo Credit: Desert Fury

10 Coffee Talks on “Following the Wind”

1. "Sometimes it is easier to be in bondage in the familiar than to be free in unknown places. "

Yes, it can seem initially like it would be easier, and we long to stay in our familiar, 'comfort-zone', but being in bondage…. oh, no…… we soon realise that God's way is *always* best, and liberty in Christ is more precious than our own desires any day.

Thanks for this

2. Rebekah says:

"To follow the Spirit is to have faith; it is to let the wind of God set our course." WOW — reminds me of the verse "…and without faith it is impossible to please him" It is an everyday reminder for me! Thanks for this, Sarah Mae =)

3. Esther says:

Thank you for such a wonderful reminder and truth!!!

4. Theresa says:

I was just having a conversation with someone about this last night. This is the 3rd post I've read that hits points from that ONE conversation I had. God seems to think it's time for me to stop controlling and start submitting. TRUSTING in Him. Isn't that what it is all about? Trust…..FAITH…..

I'm new to your site and love it. Blessings to you and yours as we enter this Holy Week and prepare to mourn Our Lord's death, thank Him for his love, and celebrate His resurrection.

5. Genevieve says:

I really love this post. For YEARS, I stayed in a very rigid, uber-intellectual Christian tradition. My relationship with the Lord was dry and sad. When it got down to it, I never believed that God loved me. I treated Him more like a proposition and Christianity more like a set of beliefs rather then engaging in a relationship with Him. I started to feel God moving in my life when I first became exposed to Orthodox Christianity. I was TERRIFIED! I'd initially started learning about it because a friend of mine was considering conversion. I tried to argue her out of it, but instead, my heart softened towards it. It was the Holy Spirit, for sure. I was received into the Church nine months later and my life has utterly and drastically changed. I have a relationship with the Lord now. I know He LOVES me and I am working so, so hard to accept His love in my life.

I say all this because, as I was reading your post, i was struck by a bit of irony. People often accuse the "high church" traditions of Christianity as being so rigid that a personal relationship with the Lord cannot possibly develop and yet, I've found the exact opposite to be true with so myself and so many others. It was my old tradition that was stifling the work of the Holy Spirit in my life. I finally decided to listen to Him and allow Him to guide my way. He brought me to the place where I least wanted to be at the time… and yet, now, I am home.

Thank you for letting me share.

6. Laura says:

Your post is very convicting in a positive sort of way. :o) I love your blog because it is gentle and yet very to the point all at the same. Thank you for sharing your heart.

7. Valerie says:

Oh, I do the same thing. Yearn for the familiar comfort of 'friendly bondage'. As always, thank you for the timely word.

8. This is so convicting!

9. "Sometimes it is easier to be in bondage in familiar than to be free in unknown places."

Awesome blog. This one sentence reminded me of how for years I lived in the bondage of rejection and insecurity. Now, I still have times when those issues come up. Looking back now, I really think some of that time I stayed that way because I was familiar. Thanks for the reminder. http://tracyscoffeecafe.wordpress.com/

10. Nicolette says:

Hi Sarah Mae! I just wanted to thank you so much for this blog! It has spoken volumes to me during this time! i posted a blog today and linked it here! (I hope that was ok. I am new to blogging)

God is so amazing! I obviously got this in my inbox the day you posted it, but I did not read it until today. Which, if you knew me is very out of the ordinary!! I am always on email and read, read, read. I also hate a crowded inbox and do not let things stay there very long unless I have to (which is RARE!) Anyhow, today I was so open to receive what the Lord was telling me and I am just so floored at how he spoke to me through you! Thank you for your sharing and your obedience!

Blessings!