Can We Be Perfect?

“You have heard that it was said, ‘Love your neighborand hate your enemy.’ But I tell you, love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you, that you may be children of your Father in heaven. He causes his sun to rise on the evil and the good, and sends rain on the righteous and the unrighteous. If you love those who love you, what reward will you get? Are not even the tax collectors doing that? And if you greet only your own people, what are you doing more than others? Do not even pagans do that? Be perfect, therefore, as your heavenly Father is perfect.” Matthew 5:40-48, NIV

Love makes me perfect.

The love that died on the tree to free my spirit, and

the love that shows me how to love.

Love God, love others (the Law).

He did the work, I wear it. In the words of Shane Barnard, “It was an unfair deal on the part of Christ; He got my sin and I got eternal life.”

I wear His perfection under my sin-flesh, and when that flesh falls off one day, and my spirit flies free, the completion will be complete. Wild. Mysterious. Grace.

Nothing on my own could be perfect. No doing or being or striving or rule-keeping could get me anywhere near perfect. He knows this; He knows my heart.

So yes anyway to perfect! Perfect, complete, like my Father. Be perfectI claim it.

I claim love.

Love makes me perfect.

Photo Credit: “Born Again” by Dean Kermit Allison

7 Coffee Talks on “Can We Be Perfect?”

1. God Thinker says:

Yes Sarah! His perfection in me all because of His grace. Apart from Him I am not perfect. Thank you for sharing this!

God Thinker – grasping the perfection He imparts to me is stunning and life-changing. Completely in awe.

2. Lori Devine says:

Clothed in the perfect righteousness of Christ. So amazing! I wouldn't think of showing up before God wearing the wrong "clothes." His mercy amazes me!

3. Alyson says:

It's crazy that I was just thinking about perfection this morning. I was too harsh with my daughter and totally crushed her this morning. I was beating myself up with on the way home from dropping her off at school and thinking about how frustrated my imperfection makes me. I know part of the reason she was so hurt is because she too is a perfectionist and want to do things right. What an opportunity I have to talk to her now of God's perfection and our dependence on Him. Thanks for the timely reminder.

4. Thank you so much Sarah Mae! X

5. Jessalyn says:

Wonderful! Thanks for the encouragement Sarah Mae!

6. @AnnVoskamp says:

Ah, so true, Sarah Mae… His Sacrificial Love on that Cross is the only hope I have of perfection… I need to be clothed with Christ, who makes me clean…

*Thank you*… for keeping our eyes on Jesus…

All's grace,