We’re All Messed Up

We’re all just a messed up bunch, aren’t we?

People.

We’re just trying to figure out life and make our way through it.

And we all hurt in secret places.

So let’s give each other a break.

In fact, let’s one up it and be a good place to fall when there is a break.

“Praise be to the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of compassion and the God of all comfort, who comforts us in all our troubles, so that we can comfort those in any trouble with the comfort we ourselves receive from God.” 2 Corinthians 1:3,4

23 Coffee Talks on “We’re All Messed Up”

1. Stephanie says:

Yes! Amen!

2. Stephanie says:

I love the verse….need to hear that today as we are in the midst of difficult times in our family. Thanks :)

3. Sisterlisa says:

When we learn Christ and His amazing love in us flows out to even our enemies, we can be people who embrace the broken, even when they're being mean.

4. Jessica says:

wow isn't this the truth. I am struggling so much right now. The head of jealousy reared up awhile ago and I've messed up some friendships because of it. It's hard to swallow and accept they may not want to forgive me. Those relationships may not be healed. We're human though, we all mess up… again and again. We're not perfect by any means. It just may not be in God's will for this to be fixed and as bad as that stinks…. I can not argue with Him. I am so undeserving…..

5. @jenchic says:

Such Truth…thanks for the reminder!

6. Crystal says:

Yes, I couldn't agree more! I've been reading through Psalms and you know, I relate so much to King David! His emotions and thoughts were all over the place! I like this quote from Matt Chandler:

"Psalms, one of my personal favorites, is the writings of the great schizophrenic king, David. And I think he's schizophrenic because he, in one line will say, “How long, Oh Lord, will You forsake me?” and then two lines later, say, “How great You are to be so near to me.” And my soul resonates with that. Maybe not you, maybe you flutter about in a kind of glory, but for me, that resonates with me. I also resonate with how he argues with himself within the book. Everybody who's ever tried to walk with Christ knows that at times, there's this chasm between what he head knows and what the heart is walking in. And David addresses this when he says things like, “Why are you so downcast? Oh my soul, put your hope in God.” It's like he knows what's right, but his heart won't join him there. Anyone feel that way too?"

I'm thankful that God gave us examples of REAL people. Because that's what we are, real messed up people. Just like David.

7. Mel says:

Yes! Sometimes we need to tune out our woundedness in order to tune into someone else who is struggling through something. We're all wounded somewhere, if we would just be honest a bit more, it would really free us so very much!

Blessings,
    Mel
    Please feel free to stop by: Trailing After God

8. [...] This post was mentioned on Twitter by monicalocke and Crystal, Sarah Mae. Sarah Mae said: We're All Messed Up http://t.co/Bm1EwFD [...]

9. gracechaoslove says:

So true so true!

10. Anne says:

Mmmm, and some folks I know just now are in need of real comfort. I've just posted on my blog about dear friends of mine who lost their son in very tragic circumstances. I'm sore for them, and can do nothing but take them to the only true Comforter…

11. I always enjoy your posts. I'm giving away one of Sally's books free….thought you might tell your friends. http://thekindlecrew.blogspot.com/2011/02/free-bo…

12. Anne says:

13. Dionna says:

I like it. :)

14. Renee says:

Love that verse, this is one of my favorite verse :-)

15. How very true!

16. Barbie says:

Amen!

17. Bethany says:

"So let's give each other a break."

This reminds me of Colossians 3:12-14: "Therefore, as God’s chosen people, holy and dearly loved, clothe yourselves with compassion, kindness, humility, gentleness and patience. Bear with each other and forgive one another if any of you has a grievance against someone. Forgive as the Lord forgave you. And over all these virtues put on love, which binds them all together in perfect unity.

"Bear with each other." It's all about understanding that we all have issues and struggles. None of us has arrived. God has really helped me in this area as we work with the teens in our youth group. So many times people are shrugged off as being immature, hopeless, fickle, etc. But then I think back to how I was in high school and I am SO thankful for people who didn't write me off when I was a moody teen, struggling to find my identity, and wrestling with Scripture trying to seek God and His will for my life.

Patience. We all need it. God is not finished with any of His children yet. I want to always have hope in what God can do in a person's heart and not write them off as being useless or a failure. If someone hurts or offends me, how can I withhold forgiveness? God has already forgiven them! Who am I? It makes me think of a familiar line from High School Musical–"We're all in this together!"

18. Jen says:

So true. Some of our hurts and pain is there for all to see. Yet, so much we feel that we must hide and cover….place the smile on top of. It's amazing what an incouraging word can do. Those small acts of kindess means so much.

19. whenfoodisdangerous says:

So true! It reminds me of two of my favorite Christian songs. One by SCC – We're all broken, and we all need a Savior; the other by Casting Crowns – I'm just a made-up mess, shell of a man. Something to remember about ourselves (to keep us humble) and others (to keep us compassionate). Thanks for the reminder!

20. Brandy says:

YES! Amen!

21. Angela says:

Hey there SM, it's coffee time for me! I'm taking my "almost" noon break.

I love that post. Lawd knows I'm messed up! I'll be the first to admit to that. Oh, but I'm trying…working on ME. It's hard, but it's needed. I am a sinner in need of grace. Realizing that has helped me tremendously in many ways. It really helps me in extending grace to others.

Thanks SM!

22. Hillary says:

…be a good place to fall when there is a break.
    Ah, yes. In this way we take after our Father
    and the God-With-Us, Emmanuel…
    who came to heal and serve and serve up Himself.
    Lovely post!