A $10 Must

“My fall happened quickly. In April of 2005 I was happy, looking forward to an acting career and experiencing intense spiritual growth. By the second week of May I was sleeping with my friend’s husband and three weeks later she knew about it. Three weeks is barely a moment and I did more damage to more innocent people than I ever thought I possibly could.”

If you could only buy one book this year, I’d say make it Grace is for Sinners by Serena Woods.

Grace is for Sinners holds a message of grace that is uncommon and uncomfortable.

And the message has had a huge impact on my view of grace.

“Serena Woods’ autobiographical account of her experience with grace minces no words. ‘Grace Is For Sinners’ is a gritty reflection of what moral failure looks like within the glass doors of Christianity. Serena’s transparency regarding her sin and the aftermath would have been enough to challenge most, but she doesn’t stop there. She goes on to challenge the church’s response to Christians who sin with an in depth study of the Bible. Out of context scripture is used to condemn the sinner, but Serena found the in-context grace that saturates the Gospel. Her defense of the salvation power of Jesus is found in ‘Grace Is For Sinners’!”

You can read an excerpt from the book here. You can read an interview with Serena about the book here.

Grace is for Sinners is only $10 in my shop. However, if you purchase the Grace Wins necklace you get the book for FREE through January 7th.

I earn no money from the sale of this book, I just want to get it into your hands.

“The damage of sin is something that no human can fix. But God can and has. Jesus and His overwhelming grace, love, and mercy are not exclusive rights to people who avoid pitfalls. Jesus’ work on the cross is for the pitfalls. The unrelenting cruelty of simply being alive. Sin is inevitable, even sin hidden behind the twisted mask of religion. It’s as much a part of being alive as being born…We all sin and that’s why Jesus came. Grace is for sinners.” -Serena Woods

___

In other news, the Raising Generations necklace is on sale for $25. :)

33 Coffee Talks on “A $10 Must”

1. Christin says:

I'll spread the word! It is on my list as well…as soon as I can! :)
    Christin´s last [type] ..Grace Is A Gift- But You Have To Receive It
    Christin´s last [type] ..Grace Is A Gift- But You Have To Receive It

2. What a wonderful way to impact the world! You are full of amazing ideas, Sarah Mae! I give God a BIG round of applause for you and this promotion of GRACE! He is teaching me day by day what Grace looks like. Looking forward to reading the book – and maybe giving it. Love!

3. Thank you for pointing me to this book! I am definitely going to get it. I am doing my online shopping this Friday (yes, to the world I am a week behind!).

I am currently reading Captured by Grace by David Jeremiah. As women, I find that we have such a difficult time accepting grace – but unfortunately an even more difficult time extending it.

I have added your blog to my daily reading list and can't wait to get to know you!

Melissa

Find me on Twitter {TubsWife}

4. J says:

I would love to buy this book and the necklace, but the budget is extremely tight. I'll have to put it on my "wish" list for another time!

5. I decided to put it on my wish list but after reading the excerpt and interview, I'm buying it now!

6. Crystal says:

Hmm… maybe I can talk someone into an early Christmas present.. REALLY early? Or maybe start a new tradition of a New Years present!?
    Crystal´s last [type] ..White Christmas 2010
    Crystal´s last [type] ..White Christmas 2010

7. shawni marie says:

I need to read this book. Thank you so much for sharing. I am very tempted to purchase your necklace! What a beautiful idea!

Shawni – if you have to choose, buy the book! It will change you!

8. Tiffany says:

This book has been on my must buy for awhile now. Thanks for the reminder. Definitely will be on my reading list for 2011.
    Tiffany´s last [type] ..We Celebrated Christmas
    Tiffany´s last [type] ..We Celebrated Christmas

9. Dawn says:

I was going to order this book a while back but it wasn't in the budget. This time I 'made room' for it in the budget. Thanks for the reminder!
    Dawn´s last [type] ..Learning to Lay It Down
    Dawn´s last [type] ..Learning to Lay It Down

10. [...] This post was mentioned on Twitter by faithfamilyfibro, faithfamilyfibro, Julie Wilson, Sarah Mae and others. Sarah Mae said: I have a goal of selling 100 Grace is for Sinners books for my friend Serena-can you help? I make nothing-all for her! http://bit.ly/gCeqDt [...]

11. Kalyn says:

This book has been on my wish list for a little while now – finally bought it and shared the word on my FB! Thanks!

12. sara says:

My heart breaks for the woman who's husband Serena has stolen…..and the children. This is so sad for them. I hope they are doing ok.

Sara, have you read Serena's book?

13. Crystal says:

I just ordered my copy! I read the excerpt and HAD to get it. Thank you for sharing this with all of us. I will be sure to tell all my friends about it as well.

Crystal, I'm so glad! Thank you! :)

14. Heathahlee says:

I'm right in the middle of reading it, and just like you said, it has helped me rethink some of the things I was struggling with surrounding Mom's death. I can't wait to finish it and let Serena know how it has helped me see my mother through grace's eyes!
    Heathahlee´s last [type] ..Merry Christmas!
    Heathahlee´s last [type] ..Merry Christmas!

15. Brandi says:

I saw this offer earlier today and wanted to get it but time constraints prevented me from ordering. I just remembered I wanted to get this and checked your blog, only 3 left! How exciting!! Mine is now on order. My husband is a musician and whenever possible we purchase from the artist/author/etc. so being able to order this direct is wonderful. Thanks Sarah Mae! Serena, I look forward to sharing in your journey.
    Brandi´s last [type] ..Joy in the Mundane
    Brandi´s last [type] ..Joy in the Mundane

Thank you Brandi! :)

16. Kara says:

Well, I just ordered the Grace Wins necklace for my niece's birthday. I will be seeing her in Feb., so I will be able to read the book and then pass it on to her mother when I see them. She loves Serena's blog and I know she will be thrilled to read the book!

Thanks for arranging this Sarah Mae!

Blessings,

Kara
    Kara´s last [type] ..The Year of Practice
    Kara´s last [type] ..The Year of Practice

17. Tiffany says:

Just ordered it. I can't wait to read it.
    Tiffany´s last [type] ..We Celebrated Christmas
    Tiffany´s last [type] ..We Celebrated Christmas

18. Traci says:

<3 her! Got her book @ Relevant. Did you hear I'm prego with #3! woo hoo.
    Traci´s last [type] ..Stay In Your Pajamas Today!
    Traci´s last [type] ..Stay In Your Pajamas Today!

Taci – CONGRATS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I am happy dancing for you! :)

19. Marlene says:

I purchased this book before Thanksgiving, read it, re-read it and am leaving it here on my nightstand. And the corresponding blog is excellent as well. And in my case, was in perfect timing for my need.

20. Claire says:

That sounds like quite the book! Once I'm done reading all the books I got for Christmas and my birthday (my life, there are a lot of them!) I will put this next on the list!

Cxx
    Claire´s last [type] ..Happy New Year!
    Claire´s last [type] ..Happy New Year!

21. Angela says:

Grace is for sinners, that's for sure. I remember once upon a time I think I would have been one who would shake my holy finger at her and say, "tis, tis, tis," but due to GRACE being extended to me for behavior that was unbecoming. My song is now, "Amazing Grace shall always be my song of praise. For it was grace that bought my liberty…"

I'm so glad "I AM" loves sinners!
    Angela´s last [type] ..There is a time for everything under the sun
    Angela´s last [type] ..There is a time for everything under the sun

22. sarah says:

I always am hearing about how these adulterous women have turned to God and found redemption and all that. Good for them I guess. But will someone please tell me about the wife who was horribly betrayed and went on to find total redemption????? I want to hear that story. That's the story I need to hear. Badly. Is there any hope for the victims of other people's terrible sin? Or are we just the pawns in their story of salvation. I mean really. I want to hear that story… So sick of hearing about how the cheater goes on to live happily ever after. What about the spouse who was abused and cheated on and utterly betrayed for five years? Is there hope for her?

23. sarah says:

I want to hear from the wife of the man that Serena had an affair with. I want to hear from the children who's family was destroyed by this sin. It's not that I'm a mean person….I just really want to know if it can turn out ok for the people who get hurt by other people's sin. Did the betrayed wife fine redemption? How is she doing today while Serena is raking in the money for her book? Serena is getting all this positive attention for her message….and her message is a good one…..but how is the betrayed wife and her children doing????? Did they make it out ok? I have to know…..because it seems like they never do. I have to know if there is hope for me….if there is grace for the sinners who get mauled by the putrid selfishness of others…….

24. sarah says:

The message get's spun in such a way that we all feel sorry for Serena. But what about the betrayed spouses? What about the children???????????????? Yes Grace is for sinners…….but are the hurt, betrayed spouses supposed to be left for dead now? Seriously….maybe Serena can take a minute out of her busy schedule to email me and tell me how the victims of this tragic sin turned out. The broken marriages, the bereft spouses….the children. This is not a hate message…this is not an anti grace message…..this is me, a betrayed spouse, wanting to know straight up….how does the betrayed wife make it out of something like this alive.

25. Serena Woods says:

Sarah,

SarahMae sent me this way so that I can answer your questions. I am very willing to speak to you.

First, I want to tell you that I am so sorry for how badly you are hurting. I feel overwhelming compassion for you and I hope that comes across in my words.

It is only because of grace that I am able to experience peace and real joy in the depths of me. I can confidently say that there is no one feeling sorry for me and that I am most definitely not raking in money from my book. :)

There is still so much work in reconciliation that needs to take place between me and those I hurt, but from the hope that I have from what God has already done, I can look forward with anticipation.

I cannot speak for Ann, the friend I betrayed, but I can tell you that she got remarried to a long-time friend. She and her husband Mitch have been married for 3.5 years and are happily expecting a child in May.

As for Justin and Ann's child, Ann has not allowed Justin to see her since he moved out. That was July 5, 2005. She has grown from 2 to 8. Justin remains hopeful and, given the obvious emotions and fragility of the situation, I will remain publicly silent about that situation.

My three children from my original marriage are enjoying two families that love them to no end. I have a good relationship with my ex-husband, his beautiful wife, and her two adorable kids. She is amazing with my girls and they spoil them every time they come to visit. My girls now have a little brother whom they fight over and a sister who wishes she could have her sisters (my girls) with her all the time.

I think that in situations like this, the adults have to put God before their pain and situational discomfort. God will deal with the betrayer and the betrayed in a way that breaks them down and rebuilds them much stronger. Submitting to that is the hardest part. My ex-husband and I were able to do that and the transition for our children was smooth. We communicate openly and often. We are both much better people and spouses because of what we endured. Our relationships, separately and together, continue to grow, because of grace, and our children are reaping the benefits. We even talk of a huge family vacation where all of us can be together and become closer. All of this is for the kids.

Justin and his ex-wife are a different story. It's taking more time. She is a good woman and has found happiness in her marriage and relationships. When and if she comes around or has a change of heart, she will find us with our home, hearts, and arms wide open. Justin and I are trusting God concerning his daughter.

The adults have to be selfless when it comes to the children. Here you see two different outcomes from two different mindsets.

Sarah, it is not your fault that this happened to you. You did nothing to deserve this. I want to plead with you, FOR you, to guard your heart against bitterness. God allowed this to happen and it wasn't to leave you as a victim. You cannot be a victim and victorious at the same time.

This next part may be very hard to hear…

God is sovereign and has a purpose for everything. 'As children of a sovereign God, we are never a victim of our circumstance.' (Charles Stanley) God's purposes have nothing to do with the selfishness or abuse of your husband. It has to do with you and God, but we have to die to ourselves to receive the life He gives. This may be the way He has chosen to make it easier for you to die to yourself. My sin, as horrible as it was, made it easier for me to die of my ugly selfishness. He gave me my life back and I use it to serve Him now.

My prayer is that you will begin to see God through this and trust that He will never abandon you. Not even when He's redeeming those who hurt you.

'I will not forget you! See, I have engraved you on the palms of my hands.' -God (Isaiah 49:15-16)

Feel free to email me any time: hello@graceisforsinners.com

Serena
    Serena Woods´s last [type] ..turning everything on its head
    Serena Woods´s last [type] ..turning everything on its head

26. Amy Nabors says:

If we ordered the book when should we expect it? I'm not in a hurry just curious.
    Amy Nabors´s last [type] ..He Will
    Amy Nabors´s last [type] ..He Will

Amy – any day now!

27. Serena Woods says:

they went out yesterday! Thank you for being so patient. :)
    Serena Woods´s last [type] ..turning everything on its head