Trying to Be Cool

Let me just say it straight out,

you are not cool if you love God and talk about Jesus Christ.

Sorry to burst your bubble.  Even if you sport the cute clothes or the “in” hair style, the minute you open your mouth and start talking “Christian” your cool points go to 0.  You maybe even get some negatives.

So my question for you (and myself) today is, are you okay with that? Are you okay with being uncool? Are you okay laying your spirit out there to be laughed at? To be criticized? To not be taken seriously?

No matter how hard we try, we also cannot make God cool, or Jesus our homeboy.  And since we are His, well, guess what…?

The reality is, it is extremely difficult to lay down the idol of “cool.” We all want to be loved, and somehow being cool and relevant and smart and stylish make us feel loved and accepted and wanted. But, stunningly, the hated man, the uncool man, the trendy-until-unpopular-God-man, gave up cool for you…

and me.

He gave up glory and “coolness” and died naked on a tree to let us know that WE ARE LOVED!

How sick and embarrassing to be strung up and spat on and wanting and oozing. How cool would it have been to see power pour down from the heights as the man leaped off the cross in all brilliance and stood and launched lightening bolts from hands to soldiers while a glowing crown surrounded his head and a thrown appeared. Wow. That would have been wild…beyond cool.

Nope.

So, if you want to be cool, quit hanging with God.

Or,

with dirt on our faces and weaknesses so bright and uncool they make onlookers squint and gag sometimes, let’s content ourselves with being “fools.”

All the while keeping these words tucked gently in our back pocket…

“For the word of the cross is foolishness to those who are perishing, but to us who are being saved it is the power of God…For since in the wisdom of God the world through its wisdom did not come to know God, God was well-pleased through the foolishness of the message preached to save those who believe.” 1 Corinthians 1:18,21

Uncool it is.

Get articles from Like a Warm Cup of Coffee every time they go live – click here.

24 Coffee Talks on “Trying to Be Cool”

1. I stopped trying to be cool back in elementary school and never thought I cared about it! But I sometimes I do keep quiet when a family member starts looking at me like I'm not only a crazy dork, but like they're ashamed to be related to me. Thanks for this reminder… may we never keep quiet!
    Angela @ Homegrown M´s last [type] ..An Easy Way to Afford Little Blessings
    Angela @ Homegrown M´s last [type] ..An Easy Way to Afford Little Blessings

2. Jamie says:

I SO needed to read this tonight. Thanks so much.

Your last two posts have been amazing. I love Gianna Jessen.
    Jamie´s last [type] ..The Family-Evangelism Starts in the Home
    Jamie´s last [type] ..The Family-Evangelism Starts in the Home

3. Christin says:

Awesomeness. Yep, I gave up "cool" in Jr. High when I saw how all the "cool" people treated the "uncool" people. Not cool.

I had to LOL @ you saying "homeboy"! Haven't heard that word in a while!!!
    Christin´s last [type] ..Perfect Parenting Perfect Kids or not
    Christin´s last [type] ..Perfect Parenting Perfect Kids or not

4. Eileen says:

True. It's interesting how it is okay in society to "believe" in God, but people get really nervous when you start talking about Jesus. And he's the coolest guy I know :)
    Eileen´s last [type] ..He Stoops Down To Make Me Great!
    Eileen´s last [type] ..He Stoops Down To Make Me Great!

5. TERE says:

thank you, that was well said!

6. Rachel says:

I have spent years wrestling with laying it all out there- even when it's not cool.

When my husband left his band of almost a decade of "bar shows" and a near record contract… All to proclaim that he no longer wanted to sing what he was singing and influence people in those ways-{we made a serious recommitment to Following Christ} I encouraged this move… WE WERE SO UNCOOL with our whole group of friends. We were hated.

But- now, especially now, They All Know… where are hearts lay- they see us and know that it's all real. We didn't hide it in shame- we laid it on the line. Our hope was to plant those seeds in others hearts, answering their questions as they came.

Even last night, as I facebooked your post on Gianna- I knew that there would be some that I knew that would be upset with me. But despite my feelings of insecurity- I facebooked it anyways. It needed to be heard.

Thanks Sarah Mae for always helping me to "Keep it real" even if it's not cool…

Though- I hope that sporting my new "Blue Hair" Keeps me somewhat cool :)
    Rachel´s last [type] ..Homeschooling Post- Creative Writing
    Rachel´s last [type] ..Homeschooling Post- Creative Writing

7. Lacey Oltman says:

Well said!!!!!

8. Jennifer Siek says:

I'd love to say I gave up "cool" but isn't it funny, how I still just want to not have to go into explanations about every thing I or our family does that's different, but just to be embraced for who we are? We thrive on community, so…I guess it's a constant weighing in on how much is too much of a price to have that? Good post and I needed it

9. Camille says:

The speaker for our city-wide youth event spoke on this exact subject last week! It was so great! When King David was chastised by Saul's daughter for dancing in the street he tells her (2 Samuel 6-21-22) "It was before the Lord, who chose me rather than your father or anyone from his house when he appointed me ruler over the Lord's people Israel – I will celebrate before the Lord. I will become even more undignified than this, and I will be humiliated in my own eyes."

10. just shared this on Facebook, where I will now officailly be very un-cool.

11. Carrie says:

I guess it depends on your definition of "cool". If it is "popular", then I agree with you. However, popularity doesn't influence my definition of cool.

People who give up houses and lands to go tell the world of Christ's love? Pretty darn cool!

People who get their hands dirty and give up their comfort zones to help others? Yup, cool.

People who tell their story despite ridicule? Way cool!

Stylish clothes don't make someone cool. Neither does good hair, perfect tans, or an hour-glass shape with long, lean legs. Cool is someone who is comfortable with where they are in life and don't care what anyone else thinks.
    Carrie´s last [type] ..Space Invaders
    Carrie´s last [type] ..Space Invaders

Carrie – I agree with you, I think I was thinking about the world's definition of cool. Love your perspective!

12. tammy says:

Excellent. I am thinking about your Mom too, prayin peace and comfort, for you all. I'll trade bein cool anyday to be holy as HE is holy. What a journey.

13. Sara says:

I love that you posted this! You know, it has been very hard for me where we live. I have 6 kiddos and are fairly isolated. We have friends that we church with who are like minded, but in our little neighborhood we are alone. We live in a place where we have no family so it's hard. We have tried to do things in our neighborhood, for instance, there was a "pig pickin" a week ago that we attended. I literally told my husband while walking there that I was anxious b/c we just don't fit in. I found myself sort of "acting" like some of the people there(engaging in conversations that I might not usually engage in…tolerating foul language that I would normally not tolerate, etc…nothing just HORRIBLE..but enough) so…when we left, I realized that I was so ashamed of myself. What I should have done was held my head up high and been proud(not in a haughty way, but a happy way) that I have set our family apart, and are trying to do everyting in our power to live for Christ. However, I didn't do that. I tried to "fit in"…I tried to be "cool"….and I am so ashamed. Those people could have really seen the work that the Lord has done in my life, but I stooped to a level that I shouldn't have so that I wouldn't stand out as the "neighborhood Bible thumper"…..I will never do that again. I will never hide who I am EVER again to try to fit in with the crowd. I know I'm forgiven, now I just have to wait on the opportunity to redeem myself….for me AND for the Lord. :) Made me think this morning. Thanks..sorry for the novel! ;)

14. Kalee says:

I used to worry about being "cool" in the sense that I was terrified to come across as fervently in love with my God. But you know what? Having your marriage go poorly and realize the only way to save it is to trust Him, and then see it slowly bloom the more we talked about the burning faith in our hearts we had been keeping from each other out of fear the other would think we were uncool really made me start to not care how "uncool" I was! My marriage was saved because I began to talk about Jesus with my husband more, and it's gone on from there! And I'm pretty sure Jesus thinks I'm "cool." :)
    Kalee´s last [type] ..Making My Home A Warm Haven
    Kalee´s last [type] ..Making My Home A Warm Haven

15. Ryan Egan says:

Ryan from Alpha Omega Publications here – Lovely post, Sarah! Thanks so much for sharing. I love Carrie's comments as well. The world defines "cool" as something completely different than followers of Christ do.
    Ryan Egan´s last [type] ..Dry Times
    Ryan Egan´s last [type] ..Dry Times

16. Ronnica says:

So true But on the other hand, we shouldn't work on making ourselves and/or the Gospel any more uncool than it naturally is.

17. Oh so very true. Perhaps the problem is we try to hard to make it cool and just end up looking silly. God did afterall use the weak and foolish things of this world to confound the wise.
    Kristine McGuire´s last [type] ..Real Haunted House For Sale Buyer Be Aware
    Kristine McGuire´s last [type] ..Real Haunted House For Sale Buyer Be Aware

18. Kylie Butler says:

Thanks for this post, actually your last few have been so challenging and amazing. I really appreciate your candid blogs, your honesty. Thanks & keep it up.
    Kylie Butler´s last [type] ..Ladybird- Ladybird – Fly away home
    Kylie Butler´s last [type] ..Ladybird- Ladybird – Fly away home

19. Tiffany says:

Oh sweet Sarah Mae how true this is! I am so not cool and I am okay with that. ;)
    Tiffany´s last [type] ..Mommy Knows Best
    Tiffany´s last [type] ..Mommy Knows Best

20. mariah says:

I agree with this post. We are strangers here on earth. Sometimes we even feel like we are strangers from our own Christian friends. My highest aim is to show the world love in a way that they may be won over for Christ. I think that loving someone is always "cool". :) Whether the world thinks it or not, SOME non-believers will change their opinion of cool, when they are introduced to Jesus. May we win some of them over to the TRUE "cool side". :)

21. Anna says:

You are right. So often it's easy to just keep your head down but I'm really challenged to be unashamed of Jesus — "If anyone is ashamed of me and my words, the Son of Man will be ashamed of him when he comes in his glory…" (Jesus, Luke 9:26). I heard an excellent talk last year by Di Warren, who said the gospel is like Susan Boyle (the British singer who won X-Factor) — embarassing until she [it, the gospel] opens her [its] mouth to sing and the sound produced is beautiful.

22. Anna says:

Just realised after posting the above that Susan Boyle won Britain's Got Talent, not X-Factor. Ooops, sorry!
    Anna´s last [type] ..Creative Fun
    Anna´s last [type] ..Creative Fun

23. Amy says:

I have been a Christian my whole life, but I am *very* new to speaking about it. In my family, we were expected to go to church and believe in the Lord, but if we spoke about Him, it was awkward and uncomfortable. I have only recently begun to be okay with opening up about my beliefs, and I really appreciate your openness. It's nice to be able to surround myself with people who openly confess their love for Jesus, even if it is only online. :-)