Our Stories Make Us Just a Little More Human

We all have a story…and we all want to be heard.

And loved.

For who we are.

Today I read a story that taught me how to love better; that taught me how to break out of my own confining walls and find great freedom in not having to have all the answers. ‘Cause duh, I don’t.

(I hate admitting all of this…all of my crappy weaknesses.)

The good news is that God is stretching my faith. One way He is teaching me to love others well is to peek inside their stories. What is the “why” that pulses through their spirits? What is their history? For me, to listen to one’s story is to understand them better, and in turn, to love them where they are and for who they are. To love them how I want to be loved.

And here’s the beautiful thing about loving others: God is okay if we love someone who thinks radically differently than we do.

In fact, God died for them.

Because He loved them, just like He loves us. He wants us to love like He does!

I believe God is offering all of us an invitation to be changed and challenged and moved beyond our comfort zones so that we can love unabashedly. So that we can love like He did.

“Teacher, which is the greatest commandment in the Law?” Jesus replied: ” ‘Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind.’This is the first and greatest commandment.And the second is like it: ‘Love your neighbor as yourself.’All the Law and the Prophets hang on these two commandments.” Matthew 22:36-40

Whose story to you need to hear today?

For those who are completely offended by those who preach about hell, read this man’s story:

Out of the Comfort Zone, by Ray Comfort

For those who are completely offended by “liberal Christians,” read this man’s story:

Churched, by Matthew Paul Turner

For a neat story for kiddos about how our lives interweave with one another, check out The Boy Who Changed the World.

11 Coffee Talks on “Our Stories Make Us Just a Little More Human”

1. Sarah – Thank you for your kind words about Matthew's book. They meant a great deal to us both. Peace to you and your family tonight.

2. MainlineMom says:

When I first started reading Matthew Paul Turner's tweets, I was totally mad that he made fun of Calvinists like me and especially guys I admire like John Piper and Mark Driscoll. But I kept listening and sometimes interacting. This summer I picked up Churched. I laughed, in part because of how much I related to it. Then sitting on the beach reading the last chapter, I bawled…because of the glimpse into his heart it provides. Great book, and yes…my faith has been stretching in a big way this year.
    MainlineMom´s last [type] ..Top Ten Reasons To Love College Football Season
    MainlineMom´s last [type] ..Top Ten Reasons To Love College Football Season

3. You make excellent points because I confess I struggle some times with the same issue (especially when it comes to Matthew Paul Turner…lol). BUT I appreciate your honesty and your challenge to stretch out of our comfort zones. We do need to love people where they are at even when we don't necessarily agree with them :D
    Kristine McGuire´s last [type] ..Pushing the Boundaries of Decency
    Kristine McGuire´s last [type] ..Pushing the Boundaries of Decency

4. Crystal says:

Ok, I admit.. I had no idea who Matthew Turner was and just went to his blog.. and spent waay too much time there! I don't think I'll be going back. I am curious about the book though!

God has been dealing with me on some of the same issues you mention and I'm being stretched. This, "See, I tend to think if someone doesn’t believe the way I do, they are just a little off the right path…or, you know, just not quite saved." sounds just like me, though I hate to admit it.
    Crystal´s last [type] ..Menu Plan 9-6
    Crystal´s last [type] ..Menu Plan 9-6

5. Jasmine says:

I had no idea who Matthew Turner was and just spent some time on his blog. I'm not sure what to think about the man Matt Turner, but found his video – a letter to God (about me section) – profound and sad.

Thank you for sharing this with us.

6. Jennifer says:

A weakness I know all to well. Grace is so easy to accept sometimes, but so hard to give. Read this by Bebo Norman the other day and thought you all may enjoy it.

My expectations of others seems to get in the way of me loving them well sometimes. The Lord continues to stretch me in this area.
    Jennifer´s last [type] ..Idols and Expectations
    Jennifer´s last [type] ..Idols and Expectations

7. Rachel S. says:

I like this video by him…

it's about questions….
    Rachel S.´s last [type] ..What My Neighbor Found
    Rachel S.´s last [type] ..What My Neighbor Found

8. Brandi says:

Knowing the why behind others' actions and even our own can be so very helpful, and yes, it makes everyone so very human!! Thanks for sharing–insightful as always. :)
    Brandi´s last [type] ..Tater Tips
    Brandi´s last [type] ..Tater Tips

9. Crystal says:

I just re-read the comments… MY comment comes off sounding so nasty! "I don't think I'll be going back" was attatched to "and spent waay too much time there." But it came off sounding like I was appalled at what I had read, ect.

In fact. I went back today to read more! :) Interesting stuff. Gives me lots to think about!
    Crystal´s last [type] ..Menu Plan 9-6
    Crystal´s last [type] ..Menu Plan 9-6

10. One of the reasons I have a testimony tab on my blog is so that people reading can understand the context of everything I say. You are so right in saying that learning to love those that think differently grows us- it grows us into the people God designed us to be~!