I Can’t Do It

None of us can.

None of us can do this child raising thing perfectly.

None of us can take the credit if our children have chosen godly lives.

It is by His grace and for His glory that we mold hearts and love well.

It is by His grace that children grow up to know Him and love Him.

It is by His grace that we fall into Him when we fail, because we will fail.

We are not going to get it all “right” and we are going to mess up time and time again. It is why we need Him so desperately, and it is why our children need Him so desperately.

Lead them to Him, because he is the only one who can teach and train and love and heal and comfort perfectly.  We can guide them to him, and love brokenly in the meantime.

Moms, don’t give up.

Feel the dust on your knees.

Remain faithful.

Persevere.

Stop comparing yourself with other mothers. Find an older woman to look up to and learn from, but don’t compare. Learn. Cry out to your God for wisdom and mercy.

“If I must boast, I will boast of the things that show my weakness.”  2 Corinthians 11:30

17 Coffee Talks on “I Can’t Do It”

1. Anna says:

I love this, Sarah Mae. Thank you.

2. Nicole says:

What a beautiful post!! Thank you so much for posting this! God bless you!

3. Christin says:

Love this "Lead them to Him, because he is the only one who can teach and train and love and heal and comfort perfectly."

That's it, right there. Thank you.
    Christin´s last [type] ..Clothed with Strength &amp Dignity
    Christin´s last [type] ..Clothed with Strength &amp Dignity

4. Cindy says:

Sarah, my sentiments exactly today. Thanks for the encouragement. :)
    Cindy´s last [type] ..Words of Life or Death
    Cindy´s last [type] ..Words of Life or Death

5. Southern Gal says:

Can I just add something for mothers of older children? Likewise, none of us can take the credit if our children don't lead Godly lives. Thankfully my older children have, but there were times when I questioned everything I had done as a mother. Then I realized I cannot control how they lead their lives now like (I thought)I did when they were little. The choice is theirs to make. Ultimately God is the only one in control. Don't beat yourself up when they make decisions that have you scratching your head and hitting your knees. James 1:5. He will give us wisdom when we ask. You're so right. We're not perfect and neither are they. Thank the Lord we have Him to extend mercy.
    Southern Gal´s last [type] ..A Full Two Days
    Southern Gal´s last [type] ..A Full Two Days

6. Cee Tindall says:

This is so true. I've raised my children in a Godly home, doing my best to model for them what a relationship with God looks like. Out of my three children, one has made Godly decisions. When I hear, "OH you've done a MARVELOUS job with her!" I reply that it was NOT me, but her choices, and God's influence, that have grown her into the woman of God she is, and who she's becoming.

I also know how it feels when others give advice on how to be a better parent as the other two made worldly decisions… and I offer empathy to those I know who are struggling in my church with teens not making Godly decisions.

It makes me so much more aware of the fact that we need to pray pray pray for our children and our friend's children in these times.

Thank you for such a beautiful post.
    Cee Tindall´s last [type] ..They Don’t Call It Hot August For Nothin’
    Cee Tindall´s last [type] ..They Don’t Call It Hot August For Nothin’

7. MainlineMom says:

Love this, so very true. Even though they feel like ours, our children are only on loan to us for a short while, and only the Holy Spirit can work in their lives for their salvation.
    MainlineMom´s last [type] ..Not Going to BlogHer
    MainlineMom´s last [type] ..Not Going to BlogHer

8. Rhonda says:

Oh so true and beautiful. As moms, we cry out to the Lord for His work in the lives of our children. Only His grace can change a heart:)
    Rhonda´s last [type] ..Something to Think About
    Rhonda´s last [type] ..Something to Think About

9. love it! such a timely reminder for me – thanks! :)
    heidi @ wonder woman´s last [type] ..My Boys Grounded Meand I am thankful
    heidi @ wonder woman´s last [type] ..My Boys Grounded Meand I am thankful

10. julia says:

i love your posts like this. so so true. i try to find moments in every day life that will lead my kids to Jesus.
    julia´s last [type] ..I like to move it- move it
    julia´s last [type] ..I like to move it- move it

11. Wanda M says:

Yes! You Can! I never was able to be blessed with "please Lord" not again! So any of you who complain, whine.. think!

12. Lisa says:

What hope! I can get so caught up sometimes in the myth of the perfect child-rearing formula, only to have it back-fire in some humbling way! I'm so thankful that my kids' lives are ultimately in the care of my loving Savior.

13. Oh how I needed this at this moment. Need to remember it is ALL HIM…my job is to love my Savior through and through, so that my children will follow suit. And to be authentic when I make mistakes so they will see His grace in my own life… He will keep them in His hands…
    Melissa | Madabella:´s last [type] ..Strength
    Melissa | Madabella:´s last [type] ..Strength

14. Tania says:

Hi Sarah!

I love your words, so encouraging and full of wisdom.

And I want your permission to translate and publish them in my blog, of course telling my readers who the author is.

Love,

Tania
    Tania´s last [type] ..¿A qué edad se destetó tu hijo
    Tania´s last [type] ..¿A qué edad se destetó tu hijo

Hi Tania – sure! Thank you for asking! :)

15. Tania says:

Thanks Sarah, I've post it today ;)
    Tania´s last [type] ..No puedo hacerlo
    Tania´s last [type] ..No puedo hacerlo

16. Annie H says:

I needed this reminder – I need it daily! Thank you!!
    Annie H´s last [type] ..the days