A Dirty Little Secret

Today is a guest post from my friend Michelle.  Enjoy!

I have a dirty little secret…

I don’t clean my kitchen floor.

I stopped 8 months ago. I don’t scrub my tub or toilets either.

Yes, I’m an at-home mom. And yes, I hired someone to help clean my house. {I can hear my mother gasping now.}

To be clear, I’m not rich, or spoiled (I think), and I only wish that I were a royal princess.

I’m only outing myself here and not on my own blog in hopes that my grandmother-in-law, the Mennonite “Martha Stewart,” never finds out. Wouldn’t that make great sewing circle conversation?

While it’s embarrassing to “come clean,” I do have a compelling argument for outsourcing:

• Between being a natural messy, my ADD tendencies, and a healthy dose of perfectionism, I can turn a quick clean up into an abandoned organization of the lazy susan in 2 seconds flat.
  • Although I am a messy, I love clean. I love disinfectant and obliterating germs. But like I mentioned, a simple wipe-down usually snowballs into me steam-cleaning that unreachable spot behind the toilet.
  • I needed more time in my schedule. Hiring help allows me to work during naptime instead of clean, which makes my boss happy and allows me to afford it. {My cleaning person is very reasonable.}
  • Most importantly, I can enjoy playing with my boys having one less thing to worry about. For me the benefit outweighs the cost.

I know this decision isn’t for everyone, but maybe there’s a different way you can shift your load? If so, I encourage you to give it a try! Ultimately, it’s God’s opinion that matters. Getting help during a time when my light was more of a dying ember has preserved my sanity. I can’t tell you how happy it makes me. Oh, and it makes my husband pretty happy, too!

What do you do to preserve your sanity? Have you made any good decisions that you’re afraid to admit?

A note from Michelle: I blog (a little too honestly) at So, I married a Mennonite and Gather Inspirit. I’d love for you to visit, as I have lots more to say about this subject and many others!

Photo Credit: Can’t Stop Cooking

Recommended: Keep Calm and Carry On from Red Letter Words.

19 Coffee Talks on “A Dirty Little Secret”

1. Bev says:

Haha! Well honey, if it works for you and your family, and you are not stepping out of the playground (LOL), then don't worry about what others think. I have the same issues as you, messy and a perfectionist…and have not had the "boss's" permission to have a cleaner…so went out and cleaned for others at one stage. But, some friends just could not understand why it took me so long to do what they considered a little clean-up, and yes, I copped a bit of judgement from them. But, I saw imperfections (with my trained eye for perfection)in them, and prayed that they would see them too (and of course the Lord answered those prayers)so didn't let it bother me. It is funny reading your little message on it!

2. Melissa says:

That is awesome! 1 – that you hired a cleaning service. 2- that you outed yourself on this blog. 3- that you didn't want to say it on your other blog!

I love it!!

Melissa
    Melissa´s last [type] ..Wordless Wednesday
    Melissa´s last [type] ..Wordless Wednesday

3. Kiki says:

Another benifit is that you are providing work for someone :)

I also have someone clean once a week and I do it more for her than for me as she needs the work.

4. michelle says:

Have you ever shared something and then felt like you should have kept it to yourself? You never did? Oh… me neither. *ahem*
    michelle´s last [type] ..Wedded Bliss
    michelle´s last [type] ..Wedded Bliss

5. Bevy says:

I love, Love this post by the way… so totally relatable.

Recently, I've had to "Come Clean" (with the fact that I don't clean),too. Although in my case – I haven't been able to hire anyone. ;) I still clean, I just don't love it. In fact, I just spray room spray as a quick resolve, more times then not.

Going over to Michelle's blog…
    Bevy´s last [type] ..Cabin Vacation – - Fun &amp Games
    Bevy´s last [type] ..Cabin Vacation – - Fun &amp Games

6. Tracey says:

When we first hired a bi-weekly cleaning person, a few months after our first baby was born, I was to embarrassed to tell anyone. I thought I was a bad wife if I couldn't even keep my own house clean. Well, that was a lie straight from the pit. We have had a cleaning lady for 4 years now and I enjoy telling other moms it's okay if you need help. Many moms find it a breeze to keep up with their house work, so they might get help in other areas like childcare or grocery delivery.

7. Chele says:

Michelle…. all I can say is I love you! Not only do you crack me up when I need it but you are so honest and I absolutely love it! Just so you all know this girl is a perfectionist and I can definitely imagine her trying to clean! LOL. Anyway, we all have to change things sometimes. Usually I preserve my sanity just by writing, even if it doesn't go up! :)

8. Tracey says:

Ugh, I hate it when I see a typo after I click submit on a comment! I too, know how to spell too :)
    Tracey´s last [type] ..Make Maternity Pants from Pants
    Tracey´s last [type] ..Make Maternity Pants from Pants

9. Erin M. says:

Michelle, you rock. Someday I may be following in your footsteps as I am also a natural messy (which my hubby talks about on our blog today!). Thanks for "coming clean!"

10. I have thought about it. I don't clean, I find myself only having time to "Pick up". I brought it up to dh and he told me i had to pay for it. GRRR. Guess that's not going to happen anytime soon.
    Tiff@ThreePeas´s last [type] ..Venetian Masks
    Tiff@ThreePeas´s last [type] ..Venetian Masks

11. Colleen says:

AHHHH my kids are all becoming adults now and let me tell you the things I learned a "good" mom does and doesn't do looks nothing like the list I read in magazines and books LOL

You learn that you do what works for you! Let me tell you about showers with the hose outside during the summer (soap, shampoo and all) using kids labor to get work I hated done, putting cups of milk with bowls filled with cereal on the counter so I did not have to wake up at the crack of dawn with 5 yr olds, making the oldest read to the two younger ones because I truly disliked reading kiddie books aloud…. The stories I could tell :-)

12. Amy says:

I think it's great!!! We are doing Dave Ramsey's plan right now, so we aren't going to budget for a house cleaner right now, but once money frees up alittle, I think we should hire some help. I am the same way, once I start cleaning something, it turns into something crazy (vacuuming the den becomes cleaning every nook and cranny of the baseboards). I'd rather spend my time working with my boys (homeschooling) and taking care of other things. I think it's a great idea and like someone mentioned before, it gives someone a job. :)
    Amy´s last [type] ..Sonlight Read-Aloud Books
    Amy´s last [type] ..Sonlight Read-Aloud Books

13. MainlineMom says:

Not sure what the big deal is, if you can afford it. That's the key though. I work from home and hiring a cleaning crew has REALLY improved my marriage. I'm not even kidding…I just hate cleaning. My husband is not very good at it either, but he gets stressed when things get messy. I'm GREAT at picking up and organizing, but I stink at scrubbing and removing dust. Besides, I have BAD dust allergies. Anyway, nothing to be ashamed of in my book.
    MainlineMom´s last [type] ..Top Ten Reasons I Love Bethany Beach- Delaware
    MainlineMom´s last [type] ..Top Ten Reasons I Love Bethany Beach- Delaware

14. Amy says:

I'm at part-time WAHM too and my favorite luxury I have is getting my house cleaned. Frees up SO MUCH time and worry.
    Amy´s last [type] ..Random Wii
    Amy´s last [type] ..Random Wii

15. Bonita says:

Why didn't I think of that? What a great idea!

I can't afford a cleaning lady at the moment so between me and my teenage daughter we have to get it done, but I'm definitely going to give this serious consideration when my business reaches a point where I can afford it.

It would free me up so much to focus on homeschooling, writing, and growing my business. Right now I'm finding it very hard to juggle everything and this would be one big lifesaver.

Thanks for the honesty and the idea!
    Bonita´s last [type] ..The Unfolding Purpose
    Bonita´s last [type] ..The Unfolding Purpose

16. michelle says:

Thanks for the reassurance, gals! I was a little worried. Wondering what my family & close friends will say!

m :)

17. Stacey says:

You had me at – "I don't clean my kitchen floor…."

Your secret is safe with me.
    Stacey´s last [type] ..What I Had Planned
    Stacey´s last [type] ..What I Had Planned

18. Shannon says:

When my husband and I were first married, I was in college full time, commuting an hour and a half (one way) four days a week… and at that time we had a cleaning lady coming over every week. It was doubly good for me because I never really got the 'training' as a homemaker from my mother. So, I was learning from this lady (who appreciated the job!) and my home was clean when I didn't have the time to do it myself.

Anyway, after I finished school, I was home full time and could handle it all myself. (Or so I thought!) I managed this for a few years with occasional glitches and patches of feeling overwhelmed with the cleaning chores… but last year when I gave birth to my daughter I finally admitted that I was being TOO perfectionist about cleaning. I couldn't spend hours in one room to get every little detail! I wanted that time to spend with my baby girl!

And so… with my husband's permission I outsourced again. A different lady, since the other one had moved away, but it is wonderful to have that help every other Wednesday. She gets all the 'big' chores like mopping and cleaning the bathrooms, so that I don't feel quite so overwhelmed, and this lets me do other things around the house that need doing: like organizing the pantry. I've managed to make new routines and not obsess over certain chores (it's hard!) but having that extra set of hands is a Godsend. Some weeks more than others.

Thanks for sharing your story with us all! And for being honest.

I don't feel nearly as guilty for needing that extra help now! It certainly helps keep my sane and keeps my husband happy because the house stays cleaner overall.

19. SomeGirl says:

That's funny… I have someone clean every other Saturday and tell everyone about it. We joke when we see a mop and say "what's that?" Then answer, "Something Nubia uses." ;) lol Fun to run across your guest post here… what a neat surprise! ♥ Michelle
    SomeGirl´s last [type] ..Just for Fun