The Sneaker Test (How We Respond to Issues)

I love the sneaker test and think it is an excellent way to evaluate teachings/issues/topics that we are confronted with¬†(this comes from Doug Phillips)…

“Suppose someone approached you and said, “I’m sorry, I cannot fellowship with you or listen to you because you are a wicked sinner before God. You wear tennis shoes, and this is clearly a violation of Scripture.” Would you respond by calling him a wacky, bizarre, crazy, insane person? Or, would you tell him, “Brother, I’m sorry; apparently I have a different understanding of this issue than you, so please explain to me from Scripture why wearing tennis shoes is wrong”? If he presents a compelling argument from Scripture, those shoes should go in the trash and you should never wear them again.”

The point is, be open and humble…listen and seek…

truth.

13 Coffee Talks on “The Sneaker Test (How We Respond to Issues)”

1. I totally agree! Can't wait to read your other thoughts.

My yardstick for measuring anything is the Scriptures. They do not contradict themselves. We should interpret Scripture with Scripture. Not Scripture with what we think it should say, or what we think it's implying.

God's Word is just as relevant today as it was 2000 years ago. If one iota of it isn't relevant then we may as well throw the whole thing out and be done with playing church.

{sigh}

I feel better now. :D
    .-= Myra @ My Blessed Life´s last blog ..Our Love Story – Part 8 =-.

2. Yes – if our beliefs are biblically sound they will stand up to the most intense scrutiny. Even long held beliefs are possibly in our heads because someone taught them to us long before we asked questions for ourselves. It is so good to truly study each belief for ourselves, from the bible (many people take positions w/out reading the bible at all! And I'm talking really reading, not just plucking out scripture). Theologians are wise, but aren't the bible and are still human. Scripture proves itself, and theology should never contradict it.

Arianne

3. Traci says:

agreed! :-)
    .-= Traci´s last blog ..When Something Is Missing From Life =-.

4. Sarah says:

I partially agree. However, I have heard many a compelling argument from Scripture that was flat out wrong. But I couldn't agree more about being humble and open to God changing my views (even if it's through someone I don't agree with sometimes), since HE is the only one with perfect Theology. We must get our pride out of the way if we are going to say "more of You, less of me."

5. Sheryl Gent says:

Love, love, love! What if the person is wearing no shoes at all? Many among us have nothing. Let's reach out!

I would love to have you do a guest post on my blog in order to reach more, would you be willing?

6. I completely agree with what you're saying the point is–humility and seeking truth are always right!–but I have to agree with commenter Sarah, above, because I've actually heard crazier things than not wearing sneakers defended "using scripture." So even though someone presents what seems a compelling argument, I believe we need to seek the Lord, personally, and study it out ourselves before simply tossing out the shoes. :)

(Because, believe me, I've tossed out an awful lot of "shoes" just because someone else said they could find reason in scripture to do so!)
    .-= Ashleigh (Heart and Home)´s last blog ..It Was Just An Idea Of Germany Part Two =-.

7. Heathahlee says:

Scripture: the best measuring stick there is! : )
    .-= Heathahlee´s last blog ..Silhouette Craft Cutter Giveaway- =-.

8. Sarah says:

Also, I will not likely put much stock in a person's words if they preface their warning with "I’m sorry, I cannot fellowship with you or listen to you because you are a wicked sinner before God." I would know right off the bat that they and I see Scripture quite differently.

Sarah – I sense you're missing the point. ;)

9. I agree everything we do must done in a sense of humility, grace so that we draw others to Christ and unify us as the church. The analogy is interesting, but the many well-meaning persons have taken the Scriptures to make some crazy arguments. Again, we should strive to unity with our fellow believers and seek the truth.

10. That is a really good example, and a good lesson to learn!
    .-= ali @ an ordinary mom´s last blog ..A Multitude Monday With More Strawberry Picking Pictures =-.

11. Truth comes in the strangest formats. It comes in parents, siblings, children, Republicans, Democrats…no one but God can be completely true. It's hard to accept truth from someone who appears to know less about truth than we do.
    .-= Morgan Harper´s last blog ..4 Simple Music Videos =-.

12. Sarah says:

I understand the point. Really, I do. I understand why my second comment would make it seem as if I had missed the point. I understand that first statement is supposed to make you think "this person is crazy," and stir up that immediate response to write the person off. And I understand that the point is to not pridefully write off that person, but be open to God's conviction through others (even "crazies"). I agree that it is untested faith that only listens to like-minded people. How can we grow if we aren't willing to be stretched through teaching that challenges our current ways of thinking? (Do I still seem to be missing the point? Seriously, let me know if I am.) :)

I guess where I think this could be a tiny bit dangerous is to immediately throw your tennis shoes in the trash (or whatever the issue is). I believe the next step after hearing a view that doesn't match up with mine, is to ask God to show me the truth and study the scripture for myself, being open if God wants to change my thinking. I'm personally a very easily influenced person (I'm glad I am aware of this weakness), and it could be dangerous for others like me to take a person's interpretation for what it is. I agree totally with the idea-HUMILITY, but humility doesn't mean I have to submit myself to every compelling argument that uses lots of Scripture. I think we can be humble but still be cautious.

Sarah Mae, I am glad I read your blog. I think we are super like-minded on some things, and not completely like-minded on others. Reading your blog challenges me. And while I may study and come up with different conclusions than you, I think it is a beautiful thing because we both love God immensely and that is where the beauty is.

Definitely stirring up some thinking.