I love sweet tea. I lived in the South for awhile and ADORE southern food (shout out to fried okra!) and the sweet tea they are known for.
Are you ready for some real southern sweet tea?! Oh yea, it’s sweet alright…this recipe is straight from a southern granny’s recipe!
Here is what you’ll need:
6 regular tea bags
1/8 teaspoon baking soda
2 cups boiling water
1 1/2 cups sugar (or 2 cups if you’re really southern)
6 cups cold water
Notice the Luzianne tea – it MUST be Luzianne people!
Here’s what to do:
1. In a large glass measuring cup, place the tea bags and add the baking soda.
2. Pour the boiling water…
…over the tea bags
3. cover and steep for 15 minutes (okay, I didn’t cover it, still works)
4. Take out the tea bags and do not squeeze them. (sort of forgot that part, but eh, no biggie, I just took them out after I poured them in the pitcher)
5. Pour the tea mixture into a 2 quart pitcher; add the sugar and stir.
Oh sweet sugar, how I love thee!
6. Add in the cold water and serve over ice.
Brings out the southern gal in me everytime!