Homemade Strawberry Jam; Easier Than You Think!

I have always been intimidated about making my own, homemade jam. The thought of it would send me running from anyone I knew who might ask me if I wanted to make it. I literally thought it was hours of labor, and I just wasn’t into that. Turns out, I was wrong. It’s actually pretty easy too!
Julie, my pastor’s wife, wise woman, and friend told me about a place where I could go and pick fresh strawberries. I had never picked my own strawberries, and truth be told, I didn’t even know you could! However, I went, I picked, and I love it! Then came the inevitable. “Have you ever made strawberry jam?” Julie asked. Oh, what the heck, I thought, I’m game!
It was EASY and FUN and now I feel like a professional JAMMER or something! Here’s all you do (I promise, it’s easy):
What You Need:
  • 4 Cups Sliced Strawberries
  • Sugar
  • No Cook Freezer Jam Fruit Pectin (picture of package below)
  • Find a place where you can pick your own strawberries, and gather bunches! (Okay, so maybe this part isn’t as easy, but it’s worth it, so find one!)
Mouth watering, aren’t they?
  • Wash them well
  • Slicey dicey!

Slice ‘em up so they are good for mashing (action shot below…)

This is Julie; she’s a serious strawberry slicer!

• Mush, mush,mush! You can use a potato masher for this.

Here’s the hard part, ready?

• Follow the directions on the back of the package (it involves mixing the package contents with sugar – really, that’s it).

• Mix all together

• Stir for five minutes (this is actually on the back of the package as well)

• All done; see, I told you it was easy!

Ta Da! Deeeelish!

The homemade jam will last about three weeks. If you want it to last a couple weeks longer just add about 1/2 tsp. of lemon juice or one crushed vitamin C tablet (per batch). You can thank Julie for the tip!

Great uses for this homemade Jam:

• Topping on toast
  • Topping on ice cream
  • Topping on Pancakes or waffles
  • Topping for Angel Food cake

*Microwave for about 30 seconds to get liquidy

Any other ideas for how you could use the jam?

35 Coffee Talks on “Homemade Strawberry Jam; Easier Than You Think!”

1. proudgrits11 says:

Mmmmmm, I wish I had some for a piece of toast right now!!! YUM-O!! I may need to try that! Hey, mind if I link your blog on my church's moms' group blog?? I know some of the moms like to blog-hop like me so I like to recommend ones from a God-loving perspective. You can check it out- -www.compasschurchmoms.blogspot.com

2. proudgrits11 says:

BTW, we are "gazelle intense" for getting out of debt and I'm a HUGE Fly Lady fan! I know I'm gonna like your blog!!!

3. Good & Crazy says:

And I love the little plastic jars sold right next to the packet of freezer jam stuff. AND they are reusable. Jam today, Jam tomorrow. I'm waiting for the raspberry season…YUUuum.

4. Good & Crazy says:

5. Good & Crazy says:

6. Good & Crazy says:

7. Good & Crazy says:

8. Good & Crazy says:

9. Good & Crazy says:

10. Good & Crazy says:

11. Good & Crazy says:

12. Good & Crazy says:

13. Good & Crazy says:

14. Good & Crazy says:

15. Good & Crazy says:

16. Good & Crazy says:

17. Lisa @ Stop and Smel says:

Yum! I tried this once, but it never set up. It was great as a topping for pancakes though. Maybe I'll get brave and try it again.

18. Donna @ Thirsty? says:

Wow, thats great! I dont think it would last anywhere near 3 weeks in our house! I drove past a strawberry farm this morning so I'll check it out!

19. daisy says:

Oh, yummy! THat sounds so good. I'm actually making some triple berry sauce to put over ice cream tonight. We had buy-one-get-one-free coupons for blackberries, blueberries and strawberries, so I bought them up because I've been craving this for a month! But this sounds totally delish! Thanks for stopping by!

20. megan says:

Just fell across your blog somehow and that jam looks devine!! I love strawberries and homemade jam is the best!

21. Kimba says:

I am definitely going to try this. Store bought jelly makes me crazy with all of its high fructose corn syrup so I've been wanting to make my own. I have a simple recipe for grape jelly using grape juice but our family prefers strawberry jam.And I know of a pick-your-own farm right nearby. YUM!

22. Katy Lin :) says:

this also freezes really well! my dad used to make HUGE batches so we'd have some all winter!

23. craftymom says:

That looks delicious! I'm going to try your recipe and see if it's like the one my mom used to make, of course we have never found the recipe she used.

24. Jenn4him says:

This looks so yummy! I have promised to make some with my daughter this summer. I better get with it! Thanks for your encouraging posts. I have been reading and drinking in…Jenn

25. Katharyn says:

Yummy! vitamin C tablets you say…. hum I'll have to try that. Any idea why it works?

26. Hannah a.k.a.Topiary says:

I love strawberry jam. My pastor's wife taught me how to make fresh strawberry jam by just whirling the fresh hulled strawberries in a food processor, add the pectin and sugar and put it in the jar. No cutting required. AMAZINGLY quick. I love learning shortcuts.

27. Hannah a.k.a.Topiary says:

28. Crystal says:

very quick and easy, just what I need to make this jam with a bunch of preschoolers LOL. Thanks

29. Crystal says:

30. TheOldPostRoad says:

Great! I cannot wait to make some!

31. Katie says:

This really looks very simple, but I fear I'd get to the mashed up part and would just stop and make a sundae and use it all up! :)

32. Kammy says:

Love it ! I want to try and make some in my free time…..someday !Dave Ramsey rocks ! My hubby and I went thru FPU a year ago and we are doing well. We are pretty much down to almost just a mortgage payment – that baby will take a while !Hugs ~ Kammy

33. Missie says:

Looks delicious! Strawberry jam is my favorite and I'm planning to try to grow some berries next year.

34. Wow! It's that easy? Well, I know the picking wasn't, but the actual process looks like something I could handle.

Thanks for posting!
    .-= Lisa @ All That and a Box of Rocks´s last blog post … Weekend Edition: Daily Blog Review =-.

35. [...] few years ago we made strawberry jam (so easy and yummy) but this year we are freezing the strawberries for over the winter…but [...]